Can anyone help me please? I could really use it right now.

PattyL
on 1/30/12 3:42 am
 OOOPS!  I know where I am but not when I am!
SweetAsHoney25
on 1/30/12 8:53 am
Hey Patty! I did use paragraphs and had everything lined up so it could be easily read, but when I copied and pasted, it didn't transfer over that way, and I couldn't fix it. Sorry.

I am actually 3 years out now, and my weight seems to stay in between the 130-138 pound range. I am going to take your advice, as well as the others that have responded, and curb the carbs. I had no idea that that could be the reason, and to be completely honest, have no idea what the difference between or what is a simple and complex carb. Just reading what I had been eating in the response posts, was hard to believe, but it was a sure enough eye opener. I was doing this to myself. I will definitely make the necessary changes to my daily diet, and will post how I am doing in a couple of weeks.

I asked someone else this question, "will i be able to eat bread and pasta again?" Those are my weaknesses. Especially pasta and pizza. I am an Italian food junkie. I also like something sweet after or in conjunction with eating something salty. I always have been this way. It is so hard to stop that. What do I do if I am craving something sweet?  

I love the snacks that you suggested, and I think that I can handle eating those. I just have to get used to omitting bread and pasta for everything and on a daily basis. I was eating at least 6 slices of bread a day. Good Lord. Unbelievable. I am really getting a good picture of where I am going wrong.

I can't thank you enough. Thank you.

Bonnie
Valerie G.
on 1/30/12 5:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Two ideas come to mind, but I'm banking on the second option here.

1) Whatever you're eating could be affecting you.  First try cutting out all simple carbs.  This will be the sweets, crackers, bread and pasta.  I get gas from all flour tortillas, even.  

2) I'm banking on a bacterial infection in your intestines.  You can try to see if adding daily yogurt or a bottle of kefir everyday gives results.  You'd notice this within 2 days.  If  there is no change, you'll want to get tested at the doc. They'll put you on serious antibiotics and it could take a couple of months to rid yourself of it, but anything is better than the misery you're experiencing right now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SweetAsHoney25
on 1/30/12 9:02 am
Hey Valerie!

Thank you for responding and your suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

I definitely plan on cutting the simple carbs. I have even started with tonight's dinner. I didn't even eat the wonderful spaghetti and meatballs that I made last night. Instead, I opted for 2 chicken breast patties and some broccoli, and did not eat one single slice of bread, as I would normally do. Believe it or not, it isn't that bad not eating the bread. Who knows, maybe after the first few days, I won't even miss not having bread with everything. Now that would be wonderful.

With the yogurt, does it have to be plain yogurt? I love Greek yogurt, but I don't like it plain. Can I have the ones with fruit? I guess I could get used to the plain, but it might take a while.

Where can I buy Kefir? I guess this is a probiotic?

Thank you again.

Bonnie
KathyA999
on 1/30/12 10:56 am
Hey, I'm not a DS-er, but thought I'd chime in a bit here. 

Lots of peeps flavor their greek yogurt with sugar-free Torani or DaVinci syrup.  I do, my favorite is hazelnut.  Or you can mix in SF jello, or some people like salsa.  Use your imagination!  I would avoid the yogurts with fruit, check the label, they usually have a lot of sugar. Yogurt is considered a probiotic, as long as it says live and active cultures on it.

You don't have to give up your meatballs and spaghetti sauce.  (Although you might consider using almond flour as a binder rather than breadcrumbs in the meatballs.)  I make up my meatsauce about once a month, and I usually eat it on spaghetti squash.  Just cut the squash in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, brush the cut surface with olive oil, cook at 350 for an hour cut side down on a baking sheet, then (when it's cool enough to handle), scrape with a fork.  You'll get the most amazing spaghetti-like strands!  It goes really well with meatsauce/meatballs on top.

Simple carbs are anything refined - granulated or brown sugar (although I avoid honey too), white flour and anything made with it like most pastas, white rice and regular potatoes like Russets.

There are TONS of low-carb sites online, you'll find lots and lots of resources.  Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

SweetAsHoney25
on 1/31/12 3:01 am
Hi Kathy!

Thanks for the tip about the spaghetti  squash. I love squash. I would have never thought about doing something like that. It sounds like it is rather tasty. I cannot wait to try it.

Where can I get DaVinci or Torani syrup? I always get the flavored Chobani Greek yogurt, but I never read it for the sugar content. Ooops. I have been doing everything all wrong. My eating habits have been terrible. However, I did start today off making the changes that I promised that I would, and I can already tell the difference.

Thanks to you and all of the ladies that have made suggestions and given me advice.

Bonnie
KathyA999
on 2/4/12 6:05 am
Sorry I didn't see your question sooner, Bonnie.  I get SF syrups from Amazon, or if you have a Cost Plus World Market nearby they have some flavors.  (Don't do what I did accidentally and pick up the sugared ones, LOL!)  Sometimes you can find them in normal grocery stores by the coffee section, but they're spendy there.  Some people have said you can get them from Starbucks, I haven't tried this and I bet they're $$ there too.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Jennifer D.
on 1/30/12 11:05 am
Hi Bonnie
I was also thinking carbs and a possible bacterial infection but a third problem could be Celiac's Disease? If you cut out the carbs and go a round or two with Flagyl and there's no improvement, it may be something to consider...
bigsteve2010
on 1/31/12 1:15 am - Williamsburg, MO
i agree with all the folks above....too many carbs...i find a happy medium between carbs and protein....this surgery isnt about depriving yourself...its about knowing yourself well enough to know how much is too much of a particular item....im 6 months out...have lost over 200lbs and i eat whatever i want (within reason)...white flour, sugar, corn starch (especially), I try and stay away from...but I eat some all the time. I just make to portions tiny. I had a bout of diarrhea that would make what you describe an afternoon at the beach....I had wayyy too much cornstarch one day and I visited the bathroom about 20 times that day...then soiled 4 pairs of underware and 2 sets of sheets in my sleep...i mean it (diarrhea) happened without even waking me up (blush)...ok embarrassed now Ill go crawl back under my rock!....anyways get back to basics and find out where you are messing up...start with removing the Chef boyardee that stuff is crap anyways....and make sure you get plenty of fluids if you are having diarrhea often because too easy to get dehydrated and hard to get back...hope this helps

SW 512/ GW 250/ CW 235/ HW 540
I think Im at goal...well I could go for 225 :P

SweetAsHoney25
on 1/31/12 3:05 am
You can come from under that rock now. LOL. Thanks Steve. I like you. Your funny. I appreciate the advice, and your right, you got me beat. lol.

Bonnie

Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 64 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 719 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1473 views