Hernia XPost

Moody_Blue11
on 1/30/12 6:32 am
Hello WL Friends....

I have been struggling with a hernia for a few months now...Dr. ordered a CT Scan and an Endoscopy as well. This hernia is an incisional hernia from an open DS...my worry is that the hernia repair will be another open surgery. Also, my potassium levels are very low and this isnt the first time since my surgery last year Ive had problems with my potassium levels...I was advised to eat a banana every second day and half a cup of orange juice on the other days...The banana has a hefty carbohydrate amount...Can anyone help me with suggestions? Your imput is appreciated!!
sillylinnie
on 1/30/12 8:00 am - Monroe, OH
This is one that I struggle with also, I take a potassium pill.  Put I also have a cup of that tropicana 50/50 orange juice every now and then.  Also just a fyi kiwi have more potassium in them than a banana.  I did the oj and banana thing and it didnt do anything for me.  Had to add a pill.  oh and i found an easy way to eat a kiwi is cut it in half and eat with a spoon out of the peeal instead of tryn to peal it.  Hope this helps.  You can get potassium over the counter mine is perscript.  Just make sure to drink plenty of water.  Oh I also drink G2 gateraide.  Hope this helps

Linda

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

Moody_Blue11
on 1/30/12 9:01 am
Thanks Linda...I would rather have a pill as I worry about the carbs I would be consuming with a banana or orange juice...and would a single banana or orange  juice be enough to bring up the potassium level I need?  When I see my PCP it will be on the agenda for discussion as this low level of potassium seems to be an ongoing battle...thanks for your imput!!
sillylinnie
on 2/1/12 12:40 am - Monroe, OH
I am with you I worried so much about the carbs.  I tried it tho did not work. My pcp has me on a persription strength pill.   I am still a bit low.  But I am haven potty issures and other things they are tryn to figure out so. The more BM s you have it can cause low potassium so that adds to my prob.  I would deff contact your pcp.  You cant ignore your potassium it gets to low things can get way bad.  Call your doc ... they will have to monitor it as they treat you for it.  I hope this helps

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 8:14 am
 How your hernia would be fixed would depend on who your surgeon is. And how large of a hernia it is.
If your potassiuim is low eating anything high in potassium with your DS is rediculous, all you are doing is eating carbs and the potassium will never be enough to bring it up to what it needs to be. A Rx for it  would at least give you the chance to eat low carb without wasting your space in your stomach on a bananas. 
The same with OTC potassium, it is such a small dose that you'd have to eat to many of those pills to make a difference. You don't want to fool around with your potassium levels, it is very important for muscle function, and don't forget your heart is a muscle.
Moody_Blue11
on 1/30/12 9:06 am
Thank you I H. for your imput...I agree with you about the potassium levels...It will be discussed in detail at my next appt.  You are so right about everything you put in your message...Potassium is very important, so I plan to do what I have to get this level up where it should be!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 12:01 pm, edited 1/30/12 12:02 am
V8 juice has more potassium than a banana.Salt substitues have a ton of potassium in them. Lot less carbs.
Moody_Blue11
on 1/30/12 8:55 pm
Thanks pay it forward for your suggestion...V8 I will try that for sure...starting today!!!!
MomToTeens
on 1/30/12 11:35 pm - OH
Try the low-sodium V8 instead of the regular...it has more potassium...

RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/12 12:59 am, edited 1/31/12 1:00 am
Avocados?
Blackstrap molasses? A little goes a long way.