Weight gain

Iris_
on 1/26/12 11:02 pm - Northern San Francisco bay area, CA
 I had my surgery 5 years ago.  I started gaining last year and I am up 40 pounds.  Help! I need tok ow what to eat I  order to lose this and still maintain nutrition for our unique needs.  I am scared of eating fat again. Any help would be appreciated.

a_new_mii
on 1/27/12 12:40 am - AZ
 fats are not the problem.
You need out cut out carbs... definitely sugar, but complex carbs can be trouble too. :) 
You should get at least 100 -150 grams of protein and 70 oz of water a  day!!!.  
Make sure you are still taking your vites!! 
good luck.

Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 11:02 pm
I am 6 1/2 years out.  My advice would be to closely track your carbs to see how many you are actually eating.  Those are the culprit, not fats.  You also need to be drinking at least 120 ounces of non-sweetened fluids per day.  64 ounces is a minimum, 120 is optimal.

Iris_
on 1/30/12 6:13 am - Northern San Francisco bay area, CA
 Wow 120 ounces?   I have not done that.  How many grams of grams a day.  I have been keeping track on fit.com and I eat a lot of carbs I did not know how much I was eating.  I think I need to bump up the protein.  I tried this before but not quite like this. I feel proactive.
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 10:59 pm
We have had quite a few people that regained and lost it by going back to basics.  Low carb, high protein and lots of fluids.

Each person is individual on how many complex carbs they can eat before they lose / gain. I would try to stay around 50 -75 and see if that works for you.  It will be a slower loss this time unless you throw in exercise.  Simple carbs start absorbing in your mouth so you want to avoid those like the plague.  They aren't good for you no matter who you are. :)

Good luck.
Iris_
on 1/30/12 11:40 pm - Northern San Francisco bay area, CA
 That desolve in your mouth? Like what?  I feel so uneducated.  I am trying to learn this stuff all over again.  I thank you for sharing you education.  It is more appreciated than i can tell you.  
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/12 12:32 am
Simple carbs like sugar, cookies, sweet ceral, all of those kinds of things we absorb at 100% as they start absorbing in mouth.
newyorkbitch
on 1/27/12 9:15 am
What are you eating?
Iris_
on 1/30/12 6:07 am - Northern San Francisco bay area, CA
 Thank you so much your post.  I am recording everything I am eating, the. I am going to start making the adjustments and pray that works.  I hope it does.  I just can't be fat again. I will keep in touch.

newyorkbitch
on 1/31/12 5:31 am, edited 1/31/12 5:35 am
Stop the simple carbs.

Google is your friend.

--------------------
  Examples: simple and complex carbohydrates

Some examples of healthy foods containing complex carbohydrates:

Spinach Whole Barley Grapefruit
Turnip Greens Buckwheat Apples
Lettuce Buckwheat bread Prunes
Water Cress Oat bran bread Apricots, Dried
Zucchini Oatmeal Pears
Asparagus Oat bran cereal Plums
Artichokes Museli Strawberries
Okra Wild rice Oranges
Cabbage Brown rice Yams
Celery Multi-grain bread Carrots
Cucumbers Pinto beans Potatoes
Dill Pickles Yogurt, low fat Soybeans
Radishes Skim milk Lentils
Broccoli Navy beans Garbanzo beans
Brussels Sprouts Cauliflower Kidney beans
Eggplant Soy milk Lentils
Onions Whole meal spelt bread Split peas

Some examples of foods containing simple carbohydrates:

Simple carbohydrates are more refined, are usually found in foods with fewer nutrients, and tend to be less satisfying and more fattening.

Table sugar
Corn syrup
Fruit juice
Candy
Cake
Bread made with white flour
Pasta made with white flour
Soda pop, such as Coke®, Pepsi®, Mountain Dew®, etc.
Candy
All baked goods made with white flour
Most packaged cereals

If you are trying to eliminate simple sugars and carbohydrates from your diet, but you don’t want to refer to a list all the time, here are some suggestions:

Read the labels. If the label lists sugar, sucrose, fructose, corn syrup, white or “wheat" flour, they contain simple carbohydrates. If these ingredients are at the top of the list, they may contain mostly simple carbohydrates, and little else. They should be avoided.

Look for foods that have not been highly processed or refined. Choose a piece of fruit instead of fruit juice, which is very high in naturally occurring simple sugars. Choose whole grain breads instead of white bread. Choose whole grain oatmeal instead of packaged cold cereals.