Sleever here, need info about the DS please...

foodlover
on 1/26/12 7:31 am
So my WLS said I have hit a brick wall with my sleeve and he thinks I should revise to the bypass.  He mentioned the DS but was more pushing for the bypass.  Can you give me some real life info on your DS as far as what any side effects are?  What are the pluses you have had as a result?  What kind of food and amounts do you have to eat post op?  Anyone here have PCOS?  If so, does it get better after the DS?  Why do people, including my Dr. say the DS is more risky than the bypass?  How was your recovery?  Any limitations on anything afterward?  What kind of supplements and medications are needed? 

* Anyone here a VSG to DS?  If you are, why and how did it work out for you?

Thanks!
MajorMom
on 1/26/12 7:43 am - VA
A great place to start researching the DS is www.dsfacts.com . You want to talk to a good DS surgeon not someone who isn't trained in how to do it or how to help with our follow up. There's an excellent list of surgeons there. Most of the DS vets and revisions have left OH and gone to proboards. Let me know if you need that link.

I was a light weight and haven't had any trouble. Once I got on Vitalady's vitamin plan my levels have been great. I drink a lot of protein shakes but there are many DSrs that don't use shakes at all. We all mostly aim for a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day. We don't worry about avoiding fat but we do avoid white flour and sugar. We take probiotics to help with gas issues and most of us do pretty well with probiotics and avoiding carby white flour, sugar and sugar alcohols. 

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

foodlover
on 1/26/12 7:56 am
thank you
foodlover
on 1/26/12 9:28 am
thank you
gak
on 1/26/12 11:45 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Good answers here.. go to www.ds.facts.com and read up. Go to a vetted DS doc please. A doc who is NOT vetted will lead you to what he knows how to perform, not what is necessarily in your best interest. 

You need to decide what is best for you 

There are many who have had VSG to DS in the past with a vetted ds doc.. they are very successful. 
Good luck and please read up and do let someone who does not do the DS successfully tell you anything different. 

I.E. Dr Oz promoted the gastric bypass, recently,  and we thought it might of been talking about the DS in the pre-air advertising, but unfortuantely he was sadly misinformed. Whoever does his research is light years behind. So sad what was aired ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

foodlover
on 1/26/12 12:50 pm
thank you for all the info
Sher Bear Mama
on 1/26/12 2:05 pm
 V
  i
  i
  i
  i
Sher--the bear mama

Sher Bear Mama
on 1/26/12 2:07 pm
 I  I
 I  I
 I  I
VV
Sher--the bear mama

larra
on 1/26/12 11:51 pm - bay area, CA
Actually, the surgical complication rate for DS is almost exactly the same as for gastric bypass. But of course, your surgeon, who doesn't do the DS, either doesn't know that or isn't going to say that.
    If actually makes much more sense for you to have the DS at this point because the sleeve part is already done and wouldn't need to be altered. You would just need the "switch" part added. With gastric bypass, you would need to have your sleeve converted to a tiny pouch, and then the RNY part also. You would also have worse statistics for percentage excess weight loss, esp for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. You would face the possibility of dumping, food getting stuck, not being able to take NSAIDs, all of which you can avoid with the DS.
     Both operations require vitamin and mineral supplementation, probably more for the DS, but the concept and importance are the same. Both require diets high in protein, more so for the DS. But with the DS, you don't need to worry about fat or calories. With gastric bypass, you must commit to a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet for life. With the DS, we do need to watch carbs, but that's about it.
     Do your research. Talk with a surgeon who actually does the DS before you make your decision. Converting from sleeve to DS is major surgery, but straightforward. Converting from gastric bypass to DS is very complex and high risk. Don't put yourself in that position.

Larra
foodlover
on 1/26/12 11:54 pm
thank you for the info