Omeprazole versus something that is not time release

KRWaters
on 1/26/12 1:20 am - Manteca, CA
 Don't necessarily need a PPI, though it might be better for "normies, maybe I just need the H2 antagonist (I think that is what some are  called). It works for acid reflux and maybe that will help  me? Thank you. I will ask the doc today.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Voluptua
on 1/25/12 4:18 am
Hi Karen!
Recently, I had some episodes of extremely painful gastritis. This is caused by reflux. I have been taking Nexium once a day for years, but with the gastritis I needed to go to twice a day. Insurance doesn't automatically cover that. But my doctor was able to submit some information to my insurance company stating that I was having breakthrough symptoms with once-a-day treatment, and I was approved to get it twice a day.

If you are still having reflux taking your omeprazole once daily, your doctor needs to either switch you to a new med, or up the dosage. It is not safe to let reflux go untreated.

I don't think there are any PPI's that are not extended-release.
KRWaters
on 1/25/12 7:30 am - Manteca, CA
 I am not sure about Pepcid being a PPI. I have to read up on that again. The pharmacist said that Pepcid is not extended release. I do have my GI appt tomorrow and will take all the information and ask him about it.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 1/26/12 3:47 am
Hi Karen

I haven't had the DS but found that when my Omeprazole stopped working for me (or working as consistently) I think it is because of the change to timed release.  at least it happened the same time and my theory is - VSG means the pills move out of my stomach faster and that makes it less effective.

I posted about it at the time and so far nobody else thinks this is true. 

anyway, I switched to Zegerid 20 mg twice a day (I think once a day doesn't work because I drink coffee) and it has been working. it is an OTC Omeprazole with something added and - I think! - is NOT timed released because you can't get Omeprazole by itself in this country unless it is timed release.

FYI PPI will stop acid production while Pepcid  just treats it after it is produced. 

if you learn anything more about the timed release issue, please let me know, 

Jackie

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/12 5:47 am
Karen,

You do this everytime you come here.  You ask a question and when people answer, you discount their answer and basically argue with the people trying to help you.

Pepcid is not a PPI. period.  However, if it works for you , go for it.

My answer to your question is go ask your doctor and pharmacist, not me.

KRWaters
on 1/26/12 7:59 am - Manteca, CA
 I didn't ask you MH and you need not bother to answer. I wasn't arguing, I was just saying i was not sure what Pepcid was, only that the pharmacist suggested it. I went to see my GI doc today and got things straightened out.  Please refrain from reading any posts of mine, as I have told others, if you do not like what I have to say.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

VelvetKiss
on 1/26/12 6:10 am - Broadview Heights, OH
I havent had my DS yet but omperazole did not work for me.  I take Dexilant 60mg once a day.  I had to get medicare to cover it since nothing else worked and this has worked well.  I got acid reflux from my Lap Band.  It might be worth a try.
Most Active