Omeprazole versus something that is not time release

newyorkbitch
on 1/25/12 2:33 am
Then buy it over the counter.  You do not "have to" take 40 mg once a day.  Get the prescription for 20mg and take 20mg OTC the other time.

KRWaters
on 1/25/12 2:37 am - Manteca, CA
Yes, that is an option, but my PCP and the pharmacist insists that the 40 mg should cover me for the whole day. I will now be able to go to the GI doc with information to discuss with him. Thank you for your suggestion.  

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

KRWaters
on 1/26/12 8:03 am - Manteca, CA
 NYB, Pepcid is a histamine H2 blocker, it stops the acid at a different point than a PPI would, that's all. They both stop acid, but at different points in absorbtion. I appreciate your responses.

I saw the GI doc today and he says I need a scope first to see if I have a blockage or something going on in the esophagus or stomach. He suggested I still take the omeprazole 40 mg. in the am, but also add Pepcid 20 mg. before dinner and see how that works until after my scope in a few weeks and then we will reassess. 

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/12 8:34 pm
Hi Karen,

I'm on Omeprazole (prilosec); 80 mg every day since way before pre op. I still have a sliding hiatal hernia giving me problems, that's why I still take it. Anyway, it works like a charm.
KRWaters
on 1/25/12 2:17 am - Manteca, CA
 80 mg? Wow. I never heard of anyone taking that much. Does your insurance cover it or do you have to buy over-the-counter?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/12 2:30 am
Luckily my insurance covers it due to the high dosage
KRWaters
on 1/25/12 2:39 am - Manteca, CA
 Well that is good Eileen. Because of financial concerns and not getting very many reports to transcribe lately I am finding it quite hard to pay for all  my rx meds in a timely manner and to get the vitamins I need before I run out. Sometimes it seems like a losing battle. 

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

mel1964
on 1/25/12 1:56 am
why not change to another reflux med, i use nexium because nothing else worked for me, i also used aciphex, hopefully your insurance can cover if you chose those because they can be pricey or require a higher co-pay, different drugs work for everyone differently..

KRWaters
on 1/25/12 2:19 am - Manteca, CA
 So true, different things work differently for everyone. I had been given a rx for Aciphex some time ago, but it was such a high co-pay, i had to decline it (it probably would work, but just can't afford it).  So I am thinking of the Pepcid by prescription. I see the GI doc tomorrow.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

newyorkbitch
on 1/25/12 9:32 am
Pepcid is not a PPI.
Most Active