I have been told in order to absorb Vit you need to take them with food

usandall
on 1/22/12 9:34 pm
Supposedly if you do not take them with food you simply flush them down the toilet each time you urinate..........Is this true?  If so how do you divide the 30 something vit a day with your meals?

Thank you
Donna
Kayla B.
on 1/22/12 10:40 pm - Austin, TX
What?  No.  How would they have gotten in your urine in the first place if you supposedly did not absorb them? 

Sometimes if you take too much of a water soluble vitamin, you will pee out the excess.

Many of our vitamins end up in our poop.  That's just part of malabsorption.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
usandall
on 1/22/12 10:55 pm
I am a nurse and I heard this years ago by one of my professor........... I graduated in 1992.   The only reason why I gave it any thought was because she was an intelligent instructor.  There is a saying nurses are the worst pt and I am sure it is true:)  It the nurse in me which makes me want to ask questions about every little detail.  I have always been of the thought process one can learn from every one.  In this journey in my life I have found the Ds'er's seem to know more then the Medical field. 
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Donna
Nicolle
on 1/23/12 2:58 am
My DS surgeon saisd just the other day that we should try NOT to take them with food, as an empty stomach will aid in our vite absorption.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Raven300
on 1/23/12 6:14 am
Any extra vitamins that your body doesn't need/can't absorb will be flushed down the toilet.  It is a common saying when people talk about completely healthy/non DS patients taking loads of vitamins that are not needed.  Maybe you are recalling this?

You can take vitamins with food.

You want to avoid taking iron with foods ri*****alcium as it slows or inhibits absorption. Don't take it with tea, coffee, nuts, or eggs for the same reason.
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Crazeru
on 1/23/12 7:42 am
I discovered that I have to take my A, D, E & K in the middle of the night.  When I was taking with food, my levels were going down.  Now, that I take them away from food, all my levels are in the high range.  May not work for everyone, but it works for me.  I also take a couple of my doses of calicum during the night.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/23/12 8:13 am
I think it's the other way around, in part from what I've read, and part just logic. 

My own doc has told me to take some meds on an empty stomach, to absorb better. Like thyroid medicine. She says eating with meds just dilutes them in the stomach, and more goes out with the poop. She only wants food with things like pain killers, when the stomach needs a buffer to keep it from getting upset.

I'm particularly careful to not take my A,D,E and K with food, because I don't want them to bind with fat in the food and pass out with the poop. It would defeat the whole purpose of taking a dry form.
ann M.
on 1/23/12 8:10 pm - Northern, VA
I agree with BearMom.  If you are taking your vitamins (especially the fat solubles) with a nice protein / fat rich meal, they bind with the fat and we malabsorb.  Things that like an acidic environment like iron may do better on an empty stomach.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Most Active