Forteo update for osteoporosis

gak
on 1/22/12 10:49 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Hi everyone,

I have now completed the two year course on Forteo for my osteoporosis. I said I would report in when I knew the results. My endo is very happy. The osteoporosis in my spine is now gone. The osteoporosis in my hip has improved to be classified as osteopenia.

He said in non WLS patients he usually sees a little bit better improvement, but he was happy with the progress that has been made. I was thrilled to see the difference, he went thru the scan pics with me and could show me where the improvements show up. It was pretty cool. My numbers that were all in osteo category are now mid normal for spine and about mid for osteopenia.

Next step is KEEPING the new bone mass. What I thought was funny, when the nurse was checking my meds before doc came in the room, she freaked out about how much D3 I was taking.  Doc was also a little concerned about how much Vit D I am taking. He questioned me as to why so much ( I take 150,000 IU’s a day) and when I showed him my labs and that my D levels were in the middle of the range instead of the bottom of the range, he said, okay to continue. We had a long discussion on osteo management.

I would not decrease it anyways unless labs got too high. He said he wished all of his patient’s knew as much about osteo and the willingness to take calcium, magnesium, D3 for improvement and would follow through.

He wants me to try Evista. I am wondering if anyone has taken it and what your results might be. 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/12 11:04 am
gak
on 1/22/12 11:12 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Your welcome, Yes Evista is oral and not a bisphosphonate which is supposed to be bad for us. Evista is more like a hormone. I have to stop my other hormone to try it . Evista is raloxifene, which is supposed to be safer. If you have ever had blood clots you should not take it. I have never had any. The Bisphosphonates have a lot of issues. 

We also talked about Prolia and Reclast, which have to be done in the office. But hubby is taking a transfer and things will be crazy, which also means I need to find a new endo !

Anyways, after a ton of discussion I am trying the Evista as it seems logical for me at this point in time. 

Ginger<><  

Diane Davis
on 1/22/12 11:55 am
Congratulations on this wonderful success, Ginger.  Haven't talked on the phone with you fo awhile, where are you guys going?
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
gak
on 1/23/12 8:57 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Thanks Diane !

Ginger<><  

J G.
on 1/22/12 2:54 pm
   Woo hoo, Ginger!  I am jumping up and down for you.  Such good news!  I take 150,000 IU also.  I'm due for labs so we'll see where I stand.  What did he recommend for keeping the new  bone mass?   Weight training???  Sorry you will have to find a new endo.  Hope you can find a good one.    Jenny
gak
on 1/23/12 8:56 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Thanks Jenny.. yes very good news.. Going to try the Evista, keep up the calcium, mag, K1, K2 and D3 and see what happens. I am praying for a good new endo as well. ! I amgoing to increase exercise as well. Moving is hard work ! LOL The movers do most of the heavy work, but there is a ton of organizing etc. 

Ginger<><  

scubadiva
on 1/22/12 10:02 pm
Great News, Ginger!  Glad the Forteo worked!   I don't know anything about Evista though. 
gak
on 1/23/12 8:56 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Thanks scuba!

Ginger<><  

Renee2007
on 1/23/12 11:34 am - Central, FL
 I'm so glad that you have had good results, Ginger! That is encouraging news!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Most Active