DS and meds later on down the road

blairez1
on 1/22/12 12:45 pm
Can anyone tell me if they have had any issues post-op (after the liquid stage) with taking and absorbing other medications? I am on The Pill, Synthroid and Protonix. Should I be concerned that I won't be able to take these later on? My doctor hasn't said anything about having medication absorbtion issues after the DS but he doesn't really know that I've switch from wanting the RNY to the DS. I'm also considering the sleeve if the DS might lead to issues further down the road.

MajorMom
on 1/22/12 5:31 pm - VA
The only thing I know of regarding meds is that you won't get much out of time released meds. If Synthroid or Protonix are slow release or timed release, you might have to get a prescription change. The pill alone may not be enough, and DSrs and RNYrs are encouraged to use 2 forms of BC. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

bdocker
on 1/22/12 10:20 pm
Hi there, not much help on most of what you said but if you're looking for BC that doesn't involve the malabsorption I highly recommend the Nuva Ring. It's an insert that you wear internally and change each month. I used it for several years and loved it. Most folks never feel it. It bypasses your digestion so you don't have to worry about your malabsorption.

Good Luck!
Brenda~
twodelight
on 1/23/12 8:32 am - Atlanta, GA
I have an IUD and that is changed every 5 years. This November will be 10 years for me and no issues.
Most Active