Considering DS for my surgery. Question about vitamins...

Long2bLittle
on 1/21/12 9:29 am - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
I am in the very beginning of my journey.  Have not met with my surgeon as of yet.  I'm still undecided as to which surgery to pick.  I am leaning towards the DS, since my BMI is 57, but I am concerned about the vitamins and supplements that are required Post Op.  Can any of you share what and how much you have to take and the costs involved.  Any other comments about the DS surgery is very welcome!!

Thank You!
galla1
on 1/21/12 10:00 am
 Congrats on considering.. My advice would be to check out dsfacts.com.. Lots info there.. Also look at vita lady's schedule... I follow her plan but I don't always purchase the vits from her as I watch for sales to make it a little easier on my pocket book. There is also another board where you will find some other experienced DS'ers at the pro boards I can't seem to paste the link..http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com .. I will tell you I'm 8months out an by far the best thing I have ever done!! Good luck on your research.. You can also search the OH board and find posts.. I woul read read and read some more!! There is a lot of people here with a wealth of info and willingness to help.. Hope this helps you. The vits are easy to take for me it just takes dedication to make sure you take them and get your labs drawn so you know your ranges.. To me the DS is worth every penny I spend on vits and not have the complications that the others have..but you also have to make the best choice for yourself.. Please do yourself a favor and educate yourself. I was trying to figure what I spend on vits a month I'm goin to say 100.00 a month.. 

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
(deactivated member)
on 1/21/12 11:49 am
From Vitalady.com the 30 day supply for DS patients is $113.40 and includes the following:

(Per day) 4 Vitamin A 25,000IU, 5 Tender Iron 60mg w/400mg Vitamin C (per capsule), 2Vitamin E 400IU, 1 Copper 2mg 2 Calcium 300mg = 600mg (elemental), 2 Multi Vitamin/Mineral (see note 4), 1 Vitamin D3 50,000IU, 2 Zinc 50mg, 1 Vitamin B-12 5,000mcg, 6 Calcium 300mg = 600mg (elemental), 1 B Complex 55, 1 Magnesium Citrate 250mg, 1 Vitamin C 1,000mg, 1 Vitamin K-1 1,000mcg, 1 B-1 100mg, 1 B-9 Folic Acid 1,200mcg,
usandall
on 1/22/12 9:22 pm
If I am following the above correctly this is over 30 pills per day?  How soon after surgery should I shoot for taking this many in.  Plus how do you space out the above to get them all in.  Thanks Donna
Tina.D
on 1/21/12 12:52 pm - TX
You are also going to need to factor in your protein cost as well, typically that is around 70 a month for the powders with as many shakes as you will do especially early out.

I spend about $150 a month on vitamins.  I don't follow the vitalady plan but work with an RD and adjust my nutrients based upon my labs.   Some quarters I add things, other quarters I reduce things.

You can find some good prices online and with the bogo sales at the stores.  Just stock up when you can.

But yes., this is a lifelong change and the cost of your health cannot be taken lightly.

Also, your food budget will change.  Much more meat (BACON) and much less processed foods.

J G.
on 1/21/12 2:49 pm

The vites have not been a big deal for me becauses I took vites and meds several times a day before my DS.  Now I just have a few more doses to get in per day.  It takes a litlle effort at first, but eventually you find a plan that works with your schedule.  I don't spend any money on shakes.  I eat my protein.  At first I thought this would make my grocery bill shoot up, but it is balanced by the money I'm not spending on desserts and processed food.  So all in all its not too bad.  That said, we always like to put out a word of caution:  If you don't think you can afford, labs, vites and protein, don't get the surgery.

fullhousemom
on 1/21/12 10:17 pm
 I spend so much less on food that it easily offsets the cost of my vits and protein. I do not use a lot of protein powder, but I buy whole beef tenderloins at a little over $11 a pound!  I simply eat less and dont waste much food when I focus on the protein.  If I go out to eat, what I used to inhale in one meal, now easily lasts me two or more meals.  You should be able to figure out your future health care costs, particularly labs, um, if you ignore the national health care climate!

Taking my vitamins everyday has proven to be much tougher than I thought.  "Life" gets in the way and I realize I've missed three days of my vitamins!  Vitaladys plan is a very strong fight against the possibility of malnutrition.   When I stray from the plan, I have managed to jump back on, but its not easy. A 31 day viramin organizer does help. 
Catnip
on 1/22/12 12:36 am - Ottawa, Canada
 HI,

There are a lot of cost variants when it comes to vitamins and protein.

Everyone takes different supplements,  some alot more then others. Some brands are much more expensive then others.

I am able to keep my supplement costs low by shopping smart and planning ahead.

The only supplements I order online is my dry a, dry d, iron and k's.When I do order I order enough for a year and order from the cheapest place. I get protein powder at the same time so I get free shipping.  Last time I ordered from vitalady it was over $300.00 but enough product for a year.

For all my other supplements I watch flyers for sales and buy one get one free deals.  Since I organize my vitamins in 2 month batches, I check when done organizing to see what I need and then keep the list in my purse so when i find a sale I can buy what I need.

I would guess my protien and vitamin costs are $50.00 to $75.00 per month.

Good luck
Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

PattyL
on 1/22/12 5:36 am
 I don't do protein shakes so no expense there.  I order vitamins when Puritan has their buy one get 2 free sales.  I spend from 300 to 500 dollars per year on vites.
usandall
on 1/22/12 9:28 pm
is that puritan.com?
Most Active