approval for DS in Ontario

Lisa A.
on 1/22/12 3:07 am - Canada
DS on 09/21/12
Hi!
I am currently going through the process in order to be approved for WLS in Hamilton, Ontario. I have been researching DS, as I rely on Nsaids for migraines and sciatica. It seems that DS is a surgery that is difficult to obtain in Ontario,  and I am also a "lightweight" which makes it seem even more unobtainable. I am convinced that DS is the best weight loss surgery for me, as a VSG doesn't have the malabsorption and RNY does not allow the use of Nsaids but I have to convince Dr. Hong, who is the surgeon that can perform DS in Hamilton.  As far as I know,  the only health issue that I have other than those mentioned above is GERD. The only family history that I have of diabetes is my maternal aunt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Lisa
St.Joes Hamilton- Dr. Hong- Duodenal Switch (DS)
ref-Aug /11                       ultrasound-March/12            internist- April/12
info sess-Jan/12                soc worker-March/12             surgeon app. May/12
nurse & dietician-Feb/12     scope- March/12                 surgery- Sept 21/12
Lisa A.
on 1/22/12 4:19 am - Canada
DS on 09/21/12
Thanks! I have already spoken to this member, she is amazing. She is also trying to give me pointers which were of help to her, but she has one condition that I don't have, which helped her to convince Dr. Hong.  Looking to hear of some other successes as well. Thanks for responding!
Lisa
ref-Aug /11                       ultrasound-March/12            internist- April/12
info sess-Jan/12                soc worker-March/12             surgeon app. May/12
nurse & dietician-Feb/12     scope- March/12                 surgery- Sept 21/12
PatXYZ
on 1/22/12 6:43 am
You are too kind :)

One of the things I found with Dr. Hong is that he wants to make sure you understand all of the potential risks and complications. He tried to sell me on the VSG only, but could see that I was sure about the DS and could discuss it in detail with him and ask him good questions about it. We talked for 40 minutes, he won't rush you (though you may get interrupted, he has had to take at least one call every time I have seen him). I think he is one of the surgeons who believes that patient choice is important, so I think you will just need to be really well informed and stand your ground. As a last ditch thing, he tried to scare me with the idea that I might end up having bathroom issues. I was able to whip out a paper that compared the bathroom habits of RNYers and DSers that showed that the differences were not statistically significant. He laughed and then that was the end of the discussion.

You're doing great so far with all the research you've been doing! Many of the papers I started with were from dsfacts.com and it's a great place to familiarize yourself indepth with all aspects of the DS.
Lisa A.
on 1/22/12 10:28 am - Canada
DS on 09/21/12
 sounds so promising! Do you know how many DS surgeries Dr. Hong has performed?
Lisa
PatXYZ
on 1/22/12 10:47 am
I can't remember how many, but I know he's been doing them for 8-9 years. I meant to ask him at my last appointment and forgot. It was mentioned once before on the board though. That I can't remember tells me that I didn't have any concerns though!
Jackie P.
on 2/1/12 11:03 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
I am just getting referred to Hamilton for WLS. Once you get referred do you get all the info on the different types of surgery and choose? Or does Hamilton only do the sleeve and RYN?
Lisa A.
on 2/4/12 8:49 am - Canada
DS on 09/21/12
From what I know, RNY is considered the gold standard and the only one "offered" by OHIP. When you are approved for surgery, you can speak to the surgeon if there are compelling medical reasons for needing one of the other surgeries. Dr.Hong also does the DS.  Good luck :)
Lisa
Jennifer D.
on 2/4/12 10:29 am
Hi Lisa, as Pat said, if you know what you are getting into and you have the reasons to take NSaids you have a chance to be approved for DS. If you are a lightweight you may want to consider the VSG. It requires a lot less maintenance than the DS.
Lisa A.
on 2/4/12 10:53 am - Canada
DS on 09/21/12
Thanks for the advice Jennifer!  I am researching like crazy and keeping my fingers crossed for the DS, and I am willing to fully commit to the rigorous vitamin schedule. I just don't like the poor long-term odds of weight maintenance that the VSG offers- I am so of afraid of failing at weight loss, ( I have sooo many times already) especially since I will have risked my life to get there.  I know DS is a bit riskier but I would rather have a riskier procedure that works than a less risky procedure that fails. Thanks again for your input
Lisa
Most Active