SOS: Little Over Year Post-Op, but Regaining.

kacie70
on 1/22/12 12:29 am - Cleveland, NC
My surgery was 10.26.10.  From 10.26.10 until early Dec 2012, I lost from 294 to 182 and was on a downward trajectory.  Then, in early December 2011, I caught a terrible cold, sinus infection, ear ache and, other complications for approximately 6 weeks. 

At first, during the cold, I continued to lose; however, in the past 3 to 5 weeks, my weight has started to rise.  So far I've regained approximately 10 lbs!  I've also noticed that I'm retaining water like crazy.  Third (and a more chronic issue), I've had out of control hunger.  I'm still perservering to eat all my protein FIRST, but no matter how much protein I eat/drink, I'm still craving carbs like there is no tomorrow.  I do well for a while, but then I give into the craving and eat carbs until I make myself sick. This is similar to the way I felt before surgery.  So, of course, considering I'm seeing the scale go up instead of down along with the uncontrollable hunger, I'm freaking out a bit.  My clothes are even starting to feel tight.  Any advice of how to get my DS back on track would be very much appreciated.

Kacie

MajorMom
on 1/22/12 12:57 am - VA
You r DS is still working but you have to do your part too. You've got to find a way to limit those carbs whether it's by eating only dense protein, adding protein shakes or therapy.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

LosingSally
on 1/22/12 6:36 am
For most of us, carbs are the devil. They taste good, and play with blood sugars and insulin.
I'm not referring to diabetes, but to normal body response to simple carbs. 
The only way I know to stop, is to stop. It's difficult at first, but you may can taste-test a big variety of foods that you really love to eat that do not include simple carbs.
When you find a flavor that you absolutely could eat anytime day or night, and it is protein or veggies, make that your staple.
If it gets old go for something new.
When you are at goal, or feel comfortable with your weight loss, you can always work some carbs into your day, once you know what makes you gain and what doesn't.  For many of us, simple carbs have to be limited. For some, carbs are just gas factories, and we can eat them when we don't mind the stench! lol.
Don't worry, you have the rest of your life to lose weight, just stop the simple carbs for now. There's so much you can eat that is delicious.
kacie70
on 1/22/12 8:10 am - Cleveland, NC
Thanks, Sally.  When folks read this, I hope they understand, I have been obeying the simple carb avoidance rule for my whole post-op period.  It's just now it is an uncontrollable craving for them.  I want to head it off at the pass (so to speak) if there are any tricks/remedies to decrease the cravings and make them more manageable.  I am almost 100% positive it is a hormone thing.  I could care less about carbs or the attraction to them is manageable 2 weeks out of the month, but about two weeks before my period until the event occurs, it is ridiculous, almost to the point of obssession.  I've read articles, etc. on this.  Apparently, it isn't uncommon for women, especially women who have experienced large amounts of weight loss to go through this.  The only thing is the articles state the problem, but offer no solutions.  There was an article I read about a study in Australia that stated our bodies work overtime after significant  weight loss to regain the weight.  Again, it's hormonal/body chemistry. 

One point I want to make clear, this isn't my first rodeo.  This is in regards to the comment about therapy.  I'm very aware of the multiple and complex reasons for obesity.  In my case, it's everything from DNA to internalizing feelings to reactions to stress, etc.  All the usual suspects.  I'm very accountable to myself about the reasons for my obesity.  With that said, the past year is the first time in my life I can remember feeling like I had a "normal" appetite.  I actually have eaten when I was hungry and had the sensation of fullness to know when to stop.  And, I stopped.  I've avoided sugars, breads, cakes, cookies, sweets ... etc.  One reason is they are not healthy, the other is they make me feel absolutely sick.  Before my DS, I never felt full. 

Now, I have normal life stresses.  I have work stresses, relationship stresses (went through a breakup), and all of life's ups and downs.  Through all this I have been proud that I made the right food/eating choices an overwhelming majority of the time.  But, what I'm going through now is different.  I'm the most in tune with my body that I have ever been.  These are really uncontrollable cravings.  If anyone else has experienced this and found solutions, please let me know.  

Thanks to all for your replies and support ..
Kacie

Valerie G.
on 1/23/12 8:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I do get favorable results with protein-loading to curb carb cravings, but it's all in what you choose.  You see, it has to be easy to attain when you have to have it - like those wonderful bad naughty little carbs are.  It also has to hit a pleasure sensor like those rat ******* simple carbs do.

If you want something crispy, then make some spiced nuts by sauteeing them in butter and add a little salt and cinnamon with splenda, or if you like hot and spicy, do cayenne instead of cinnamon.  
Another crispy favorite is cheese crisps, where you nuke some shredded cheese until it gets nice and crispy and not yet burned.

If you want sweet, go for ricotta fluff, flourless peanut butter cookies or thelma salad.  Add crunchy nuts or a little granola to make yogurt extra scrumptious.  That's how you do it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active