Pre-op BMI

burnay76
on 1/20/12 10:51 pm, edited 1/20/12 10:53 pm - Liverpool, NY
This may have been discussed on here but I can't find it.....

For numerous reasons I am leaning toward the DS procedure (particularly the association with diabetes resolution). I know that it is touted as most appropriate for Higher BMI, like 50+. My BMI is 40-41 or so, depending on the day.

Are there any folks here who did DS with BMI's in the 35-42 BMI Range. Was it difficult to find a surgeon willing to consider DS at these lower but still obese BMI's?

My insurance does not differentiate between procedures and will approve DS for anyone over a BMI of 35 with comorbidities.

I'm in Upstate NY and looks like the only near by DS surgeon is in Rochester. Perhaps spome have had an experience with a specific bariatric program in Upstate NY?????

Thanks guys!
MajorMom
on 1/20/12 11:12 pm - VA
Lightweight DSr here. There are quite a few of us. I was 36.8 BMI and a grazer with multiple comorbidities. The surgeon here in my town doesn't disqualify a person for a particular surgery based solely on the BMI, however, some surgeons do. Check out www.dsfacts.com for a list of vetted DS surgeons.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

bugirll
on 1/21/12 4:24 am, edited 1/21/12 4:25 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
My BMI is 38ish and am scheduled for a DS March 19th. I have comorbids but not the big guns like diabetes...yet, because I have no doubt that I will. So getting insurance to pay for a DS now would be very difficult for me. i have elected to go to Belgium for my DS and pay out of pocket which is a lot cheaper than in the US. Yes I could have fought the insurance company for a year and a half and still could be told no. Since I have the funds right now I decided to do it now and pay for it. There are those who may think that I should fight for it but this is what is best for me and my sanity. Good luck!
DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
PatXYZ
on 1/22/12 6:34 am
Are you going to go to Belgium for a few days ahead of surgery? I was just in Brussels in September and loved it. If you have a chance, go to Grand Place, an absolutely beautiful town square. I could have spent all day there in the little shops and enjoying the amazing architecture!

Good luck with your surgery!
larra
on 1/21/12 6:23 am - bay area, CA
There are now more articles being published in the medical literature that show that the supposed high rate of resolution of type 2 diabetes with gastric bypass isn't nearly as high as it was thought to be. Your best bet, by far, for resolution of your diabetes is with the DS - 96-98%.
     The purely restrictive procedures, sleeve and esp lap band, show very poor results for cure for type 2 diabetes, much worse than gastric bypass even, and IMHO should not be considered for anyone with type 2 diabetes unless there is a medical contraindication to a malabsorptive procedure.

Larra
PatXYZ
on 1/22/12 6:36 am
It's really quite shocking. Over 40% of RNYers see thier diabetes come back within 10 years. I can't believe they continue to tout diabetes resolution as a major benefit of surgery when it comes back for nearly half of the people for whom surgery supposedly 'cures'!
teachmid
on 1/22/12 6:42 am - OKC, OK
My DM returned about 6years after my RNY. Now it's gone....for good!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

beth-28
on 1/21/12 8:21 am
My BMI was a 41 with Type 2 Diabetes as a co-morbidity. No problems whatsoever. My surgeon didn't even blink. He discussed my options, gave me his recommendation, listened to the reasons why I wanted the DS and agreed.

I had done my homework on the DS, so he realized I was not just following a "fad" or something. Read up on the studies for the DS, and let your surgeon know why you want the DS. He/she should not have any reason to refuse you. Just make sure you go to DSFacts.com and find a vetted surgeon. You don't want a surgeon who's never done a DS or has only done a few DS' to be working on you!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

walter A.
on 1/21/12 1:51 pm - lafayette, NJ
MY BMI WAS 35,  AND DS WAS MY ONLY WLS OPTION, THE OTHER WERE NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE ANATOMICALLY,  FORTUNATELY,  ONLY TWO SURGEONS WERE  WILLING TO CARE FOR ME, DR GAGNER AND DR ANTONE.  DR ANTONE TOOK EXCEPTIONAL CARE AND MADE THIS A VIRTUALLY PAINLESS EXPERIENCE.
fullhousemom
on 1/21/12 9:57 pm, edited 1/21/12 9:59 pm
 I was told by Sparrow Bariatric Center in Lansing, which is affiliated with the largest hospital here, that I had to have a bmi of 40 for any bariatric surgery....on the day of surgery!  I was a cash pay and 2 people told me that it was a federal law. The woman who led the Optifast class was the first to tell me, and she said she never knew of the law either. 

Fast forward to my meeting with my DS surgeon. He never heard such a thing, and based on comments here, it was so not true. But I got lucky. Sparrow was more than willing to sell me Optifast for mucho bucks and low success rates, or a RNY if I actually GAINED more weight before surgery.   They don't do the DS. My Bmi was somewhere around 39 or 40, and Sparrow's failure to look at surgery led me directly into the hands of my DS surgeon, which is the ONLY place to be if you are looking for weight loss surgery. 

I had no comorbids, nor did I want any. Cut once and have the DS. You will never regret your choice of surgeries!  Good luck!
Most Active