If you HAD to do DS in two parts...

newyorkbitch
on 1/21/12 10:33 am
 Because she is super morbidly obese.  It's not rocket science.
(deactivated member)
on 1/21/12 10:59 am
You know what? You are the most condescending person I have come across.

Just because you stuffed your face doesn't mean everyone did or does.  There are a huge number of people, like myself, that have been fat since birth.  My father and mother and both siblings were thin, I was not.  We all ate the same food.  I started dieting at the age of 10. I firmly believe that if I had not dieted for 40 years I would have weighed around 500 pounds instead of 279 pounds. I am not rare, there are a LOT of people with broken metabolisms.  Your experience is not everyone's experience.

Like you say, it's not rocket science to know that not everyone overeats but you obviously missed that information or summarily dismissed it because it was not in your scope of experience.
newyorkbitch
on 1/21/12 6:21 pm
 Anyone who is SMO is a compulsive overeater. I'm sure of that.
(deactivated member)
on 1/21/12 11:09 pm
On January 22, 2012 at 2:21 AM Pacific Time, newyork***** wrote:
I am sure that there are MD's and other who would disagree.

Personally, I think you are full of **** on this subject.
CriscoNinja
on 1/22/12 2:26 am
DS on 06/05/12
Which highly awesome school did you get your degree in smugness from? 

From her posts it appears to me that lisalou is fully aware of post-op costs.
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
southernlady5464
on 1/22/12 4:31 am
On January 22, 2012 at 2:21 AM Pacific Time, newyork***** wrote:
I happen to agree with MH...

You can have a broken metabolism. Pre-op, I kept a very detailed food log for over a month, then I saw a nutritionist here in town. There was not a single day I exceeded 1300 calories and over 2/3 of the month, I was less than 1000. And I while I was not formally exercising in a gym, I was keeping myself moving. I re-did the kitchen in our house...pulled wallpaper, scraped, sanded, painted, added a backsplash, painted two bathrooms, tiled one of them...

My nutritionist said I was not eating enough, esp carbs and as a diabetic on an insulin pump, I always kept carbs to a minimum.. And I GAINED 5 lbs that month.

So before making blanket statements, remember there are ZEBRAS who do not fit the mold. And usually enough of us. (Doctors are taught: if you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras).

I started gaining weight thru no difference in lifestyle or eating when I hit 12 years old and puberty. It's called PCOS and it means your metobalic system is broken. I've lost over the course of 45 years, about 1500 lbs and regained about 1800 lbs. It's called yo-yoing. Up and down and up and down and each up is just a few lbs more than your down was.

And while I wasn't SMO at my highest weight, I was heading that way...at 5'4", weighing over 250 is not just borderline MO but getting really close to SMO. And what did it for me was medication...not my insulin but other meds I was taking.

We do not know anyone's history but our own so making a blanket remark is very unfair to everyone. I will stick to making blanket statements JUST about me.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

beemerbeeper
on 1/22/12 8:53 am - AL
The DS in two parts isn't really a DS.  There is majic in the synergism between the new sleeve and the switch done at one time that DOES NOT HAPPEN when it is done in two parts.

I feel for you and know you are trying your best.

~Becky

lisalou79
on 1/22/12 1:30 pm - de soto, MO
I don't know why the assumption was ever made that I couldn't afford post-op meds and blood work. I mean, I know it's expensive but this is something, in my opinion, most people find out doing their research pre-op and have to consider.

Maybe I gave off a blooming idiot vibe

I don't think I am, though. Last I checked, I am well educated and completely understand the pros and cons both of the surgery and the life-style change for the rest of my life.

Hubby and I will cover the post-op expenses. Just because I don't have $23,000 cash to afford self pay in the states does not translate to we're so broke we won't be able to afford future expenses. We do have an income and aren't destitute.

Ya know what? I feel like I'm having to PROVE myself. I'll stop here because I know I don't. Thanks for the alert of future expenses. It's been heard and is well known.