If you HAD to do DS in two parts...

gak
on 1/19/12 9:50 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I would agree with holding off as close as you are to the full DS. One recovery. Have you thought about Mexico or Brazil ? The overall pricing with travel is about 13-16K depending on where you live and what the cost of flights are from your area. 

While the VSG is helpful, the DS if so much better. You look young in your pic. I like the idea of fund raisers etc. I was blessed for insurance for my DS, but for plastics, I had garage sales, sold items on ebay, half.com, did a few PT jobs, saved FF miles to have surgery our of the country. Yes it took time, but was well worth the wait. 

Is there anything you can offer a service online ? to supplement income. Also Starbucks has great insurance if there is one nearby

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

lisalou79
on 1/19/12 10:23 am - de soto, MO
Oh my goodness, you guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the great comments!

Yes, I have thought of going out of country. Long story short, Ungson won't do a DS on me as an all-in-one procedure unless a lose some of my weight. I've been pushing myself but am not cleared for exercise from my PCP yet so weight keeps going down then creep up then down and SHEESH I am not sure I can shuck enough of this weight off before my surgery date.

So...I wrote his coordinator, Luz, and explained with my health concerns(vein problems) and this dang weight not moving...it sounds so dump even as I type this but OMG this weight is not coming OFF.

So, my docs here are working with me on my vein problems and I keep hearing "Lisa, you have got to lose this weight." Well, duh, wish I woulda thought of that myself.

I'm so desperate to get some of this weight off...it's just SO depressing. I can no longer pretend it's not about my health. It is everything to do with my health.

So, I began to ask myself what am I doing here? I've got to do something to get this weight off. It's killing me. That's when I began to think about just having the surgery in two parts like Ungson had first suggested. At least then, I won't have to wait and get do something very soon to get this some of this weight off.

But if I was going to do it in two parts...I might as well just pay to have the sleeve done by Stewart in Texas so I can be close to my family (I'm from Texas)

Stewart is not thrilled with me doing it in two surgeries either. He wanted me to know that he is confident he can do this DS in one surgery on me NOW. That sounds like heaven, but it would cost almost $23000. Marachei....the Brazil Dr., what's his name? Anyways, he's out. I can't travel for long periods of time on a plane with my stupid veins being messed up.

So...that's why I'm posting here. I am drained from thinking and thinking of what is the best option for me. I'm scared if I wait and save up the money for DS in one surgery I might not make it.
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 11:11 am, edited 1/18/12 11:12 pm
OK, now I remember reading about what Dr. Ungson said about doing a two-parter.

So, you need $12,000 more dollars for Dr. Stewart.

Would any of your relatives be willing to donate something for a raffle? Raffles can make a ton of money. Say you raffle off a handmade quilt, an antique, a gun, or something of that nature. You sell the tickets for however much.

The idea for online services was a good one if you have any secretarial type skills or can do resumes for a fee.

How much weight does Dr. U want you to lose?
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 11:14 am
PS

Most of the two-parters we have seen have lost the remainder of their weight.. I think, if I were critical, I would go for the 2 surgeries, but only if I had totally exhausted all of my options.  The reason being the extra surgery it would entail.

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 11:16 am
OK, do this:

Go over to the board in my signature and PM Diana Cox about the surgery deal in CA. I don't know the cost but maybe it is within range. Hurry, it won't last forever and it is with a top DS surgeon.
newyorkbitch
on 1/21/12 4:18 am
 If you just have the sleeve,  you might lost some weight (but you will still be MO) and like many people with the sleeve,  you will likely gain the weight back.  And then if you ever do have the money for the intestinal portion, you will likely be re-sleeved then at the same time.

Don't do it until you can have a full DS.
lisalou79
on 1/19/12 11:20 am - de soto, MO
I'm so there! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

PS- raffle, I didn't think of that. Maybe I can arrange something with my church? I'll have to look into that next.
lisalou79
on 1/19/12 11:32 am - de soto, MO
PSS- Starbucks would be great. Funny thing, I did apply a few months back but never would get them to give me an interview. I do love my coffee, though.

Ebay AND Amazon...great ideas and I've been rolling the thought around in my head the past few days for what, oh what, can I sell???

I usually sell my college textbooks on Amazon. I can do resumes as I've had multiple business courses in interviewing techniques. Maybe a craigslist post?

Part-time job, well that's a little tougher because I have a 2 year old and no sitter but I can do things online so I'm going to have to get creative here.

I just LOVE that you guys are so smart and supportive! 
J G.
on 1/19/12 3:47 pm
Lisa, you've gotten some great ideas and I hope one of them may work for you.  But from what you have written it sounds like you are saying that you are caught in a yo-yo dieting syndrome (as many of us know all too well) and that you feel like your health is going down the tubes.  Have I got that right?   Unfortunately, the harsh reality is that people do die, while waiting for WLS.  You may have to make a decision to do what you can with the money you have got.  So although I am a big DS fan, having it in 2 parts may not be that bad of an idea.  In fact, I think I would get the sleeve in Mexico and tuck away the extra $ for part two.

Wishing you all the best, Jenny
DeniseATL
on 1/19/12 10:02 pm - Atlanta, GA
Everyone here has made great points and great suggestions.  In a perfect world every obese person would have a DS.  I have to however agree with Jenny.  Every situation is different and honestly it sounds like your health is failing .  You may have to do what is best for you right now.  Please take all of these wonderful suggestion and then make the best decision for you.