If you HAD to do DS in two parts...

lisalou79
on 1/19/12 5:00 am - de soto, MO
Argh, it's been a frustrating couple of weeks for me. I'm STILL not cleared for exercise. My stress levels are sky high not that school is back in session for me. I am having trouble finding financing for my DS. This really stinks.

But, I am determined not to give up. I am at a cross-roads now, I realize. All these new docs are stressing how much I need to lose weight NOW. Yeah, I get it, I'm really in bad shape weight-wise.

So, here is a new option for me. I can have the DS in two parts. I know this is not ideal. It crushes me that I am having to realize this. But my reality is this: I have about $11,000 easily. But this is squeezing every nickel and dime from us. Problem is, coming up with more than that is not feasible. As in, NO ONE will co-sign for me on a loan.

Ok, so with $11,000 I can still afford the first part of DS now with Dr. Stewart. I can at least lose some weight and get my mobility back. I will graduate this May with my BS in Business. Maybe the VSG will help me lose enough to get a job. Maybe that job will have insurance that can help me cover the conversion from VSG to DS in a year or two???

I am just throwing this idea out there. Anyone is welcome to throw me their thoughts. I appreciate anyone who can take the time to maybe advise on my situation. Thank you!

DeniseATL
on 1/19/12 5:45 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I am so excited for you on your journey.  If your situation only allows you a certain amount to spend and you can not go out of the country.  I would get the sleeve.  I have seen many people reach goal with it and maybe you can too.  I think it is a great option and if it involves your mobility it is great that you are able to get the ball rolling. 

Good luck to you!  Keep me posted!

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 1/19/12 5:53 am
I would hold out until I could find a co-signer or saved the remainder for a full DS.

Personally I wouldn't want to go under the knife twice and go through a rough recovery twice when it could all be done at once.

Do you have any insurance coverage with an exclusion?
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

lisalou79
on 1/19/12 6:16 am - de soto, MO
Hi, yes I do have insurance that excludes morbid obesity, any and all bariatric surgery, anything wrong with bariatric surgery, or treatment for obesity.  They really made sure the contract was ironclad against all WLS or weight-loss in general.
lisalou79
on 1/19/12 6:18 am - de soto, MO
Oh, and thank you Denise
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 1/19/12 2:13 pm
Same with me for the insurance exclusion. Although my insurance did cover surgical complications for WLS, even if they didn't cover the WLS itself (as long as I was in the united states). That may be something to double check, then you'd know if you're covered in an emergency scenario should you have surgery in the USA. I wanted that piece of mind, so I had my surgury in the USA even though mexico was more affordable.

I'm not sure how much extra insurance to cover emergency medical care for surgury in another country, but if you have your DS in mexico it's something to consider. Anything could go wrong, and if your budget is tight where you can't pay for emergency services out of pocket, make sure you have extra insurance.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

newyorkbitch
on 1/21/12 1:57 am, edited 1/21/12 2:02 am
 So what happens if you self-pay for surgery and then something goes wrong?  Your insurance will not cover you.  Think twice.

Also since your insuranc excludes all bariatric stuff and bariatrig surgery related stuff...how are you going to pay for your labs, bone density scans,  vitamins and supplements, and expensive high protein diet,  possible iron infusions.....?
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 7:03 am
Is there any way you could get $3,000.00 more? Even a high interest loan? credit union?

Dr. Ungson in Mexico is, I believe, $14,000. total for an open DS.

Crap! If I had it, I think I would loan it to you myself!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 7:04 am
I know a lady in Canada did fund-raisers.  Like bake sales and a spaghetti dinner, things like that to get enough money for her DS.

Is something like that a possibility for the remaining money?
Sarah_Anne
on 1/19/12 7:25 am
 Can you get a part time job at Starbucks?  Thier insurance policy covers the DS.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)