need help with nausea problems

kinwy78
on 1/17/12 11:26 am - NE
I am 3 weeks post op from having the DS. I still get very hungry and now am having really bad nausea and bad dry heaves. I have been put on Zofran 4 mg, but I can't find any foods or liquids that will fill me up and not make me nauseated .

I need some help or suggestions. I am misserable and am having a lot of regrets about having this done.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 1/17/12 11:34 am
How often are you takig the zofran? Maybe you need a higher dose?
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Lisa A.
on 1/17/12 11:36 am - Windsor, NY
I was not hungry at all for six months. I also had nausea and threw up every day for six months. My staple was cottage cheese and baby pears. I had to force myself to eat this. I also froze iced tea snapples and they became slussies and were so refreshing. Frozen ice pops also became my best friend. I took zofran as needed and also sucked on wintergreen lifesavers.

Oh... I hear you on regrets. I had them each and every day.  It is normal to have regret when you are so sick. I also just didn't feel like "myself".  I was losing fat cells so quickly that my hormones were all screwed up. It does quite a number on you.

Hopefully before you know it this will be all behind you. It doesn't seem likeit but it will be.

Heather E.
on 1/17/12 1:02 pm
Try sipping on some hot peppermint tea.  It helped me a ton with nausea!

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Sher Bear Mama
on 1/17/12 1:07 pm
 A HUGE cause of nausea on an empty stomach or after eating or drinking is acid reflux--even if you don't feel it, it's likely there.  Have you tried taking Prilosec?  You can take as much as one pill two times a day--and after a day or so it really helps.  I'm only 6 weeks out--but I still have my days when I start feeling like I'll throw up the food that just ate.  Then I realize, 'OH! I forgot to take the Prilosec."  You can get it in the generic brand (which might be cheaper) as well--or you can try Pepcid but I didn't find that it worked as well for me.  

I would definitely think about trying something along these lines.  You'd be surprised!

I too had regrets--when I was feeling sick to my stomach.  It's not the DS that's causing it--it's the sleeve portion of the surgery.  Oh, and when I was on Zofran, I took 8 mg every 4-6 hours so I was on a much higher dosage.

With liquids, I'd try small sips--try every temperature you can try--ice cold, cold, room temp, warm, etc.  That might help as well--early out some can only drink things that are hot or cold or whatever.  For the first 2 weeks or so I could NOT drink water.  But after talking with the surgeon, we agreed that I could drink apple juice because it didn't bother me--ice COLD apple juice.  What I ended up doing (to avoid all of that sugar) was to mix 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 water and LOTS of ice.  Then I had a much easier time getting fluids in.  In the beginning, artificial sweeteners gave me gas, so I avoided all sugar free drinks.  Then, about week 4 I started drinking Gatorade  mixed with ice cold water and ice.  Now (at week 6) I'm actually enjoying ice water.  Warm things drinks tend to upset my gut.  So, try, try, try again--you'll find what goes down best.

And when you do eat, try waiting 5-10 minutes between bites (I SOOOO need to take my own advice).  It'll help with that overfull horrible nauseous feeling.  I still get it when I eat--the doctor said I'd finally get more room and feel like i could eat a meal again around 3 or 4 months.  It sucks.

I'm pulling for you, kid!  I KNOW you'll turn a corner and start feeling better soon!!!!

Hugs!!!
Sheri

Sher--the bear mama

KRWaters
on 1/17/12 2:44 pm - Manteca, CA
Peppermint or ginger tea is supposed to work great for nausea. I had used peppermint and that seemed to calm my stomach down enough so I didn't get sick. I am sure  you will feel better soon.
Karen 

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Tina.D
on 1/17/12 10:52 pm - TX
I was nauseaus for the first months also. For me when I started taking Prilosec that helped big time and then it was because I was dehydrated.

Once we got that under control, I would drink too fast or too much at a time which would cause more nausea - it was a crappy never ending cycle it seemed. I never regretted getting the surgery but I did regret not being able to control myself enough to do what were the right things to do.

I guess I was just stubborn and it took me longer than most to learn these things. But keep sipping and experimenting with different tastes and temps - it will help. Also, add in some unflavored protein powders too so you can start to get some of that in you.

You also need to eat some - you will be amazed at how much better that makes you feel when your tummy gets something in it.

Welcome to your new reality - yes, it is a shock to you, physically, mentally and emotionally but keep asking questions and keep us informed. All of our journies were just a little different so we can all offer some good advice you can pick and choose from as it applies to you.

GOOD LUCK!!!

no_more_rolls
on 1/18/12 4:40 am - Jackson, MI
Something that is often overlooked post-op is thrush...which will cause nausea and make any foods or drinks taste horrible.  Go look in the mirror at your tongue!  Do you have a yellow or white coating on it?  If yes, call your surgeon and tell them as well as your symptoms.  If you have thrush you will need to be treated with Nystatin rinse or Diflucan...or both.

Hang in there, the first few weeks are the worst, but I promise it does get better. 
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Dentongirl
on 1/19/12 1:49 am
I am having severe nausea trouble also three weeks out. This just started a couple of days ago. I was doing well before that. I have been taking prilosec the whole time. I had been getting all my fluid, protein and vitamins. Yesterday was the first day I was not able to. I am only doing liquid today and trying some Popsicles, soup etc. Just know there's someone else in the same boat!
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 1/19/12 4:27 am
Nausea is the most annoying thing, I had troble with it for months too. I asked my PCP for some extra zofran and I used it, I was so sick of it I just decided it was time to go for the meds instead of trying to tough it out. If you live in Denton, I'm sure Dr. Stewart would give you a perscription for chewable zofran if you let him know you've still got nausea.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com