Day 4 post op and back to work

Fade2Pink
on 1/18/12 4:26 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I think it's great that your feeling so well.  I was a mess for about 2 weeks, my surgeon wanted me to be back at work at 2 weeks out, but i took an extra few days because I was dehyrdated.  Anywhoo, like others have said, take it slow.  Take it easy.  Let your body heal.  Good luck!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 9:46 am, edited 1/18/12 10:25 am
Wow, I think 4 days is premature to go back to work. Everyone does heal at different speeds, and laproscopic can be smoother than an open surgery, which I have to think you had, because I have no idea how you could do all that movement - and shouldn't be! - with an open abdominal surgery. You do need to walk, stay hydrated, and get in protein via protein shakes, clear broth, soups; are you taking vitamins/supplements?! The DS is a MAJOR surgery, highly sensitive suturing in the duodenum, and the intestines have been switched. This is huge. Bowels take awhile to recover; a couple of weeks to devote to healing from major surgery, get in a routine of protein, water, vitamins and walking is a small investment for the rest of your life. 
(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 10:33 pm - FL
DS on 01/13/12
 Thanks all I learned the hard way as always I spent the day in the er very dehydrated needed 3 liters of I'v fluids but blood work and X-rays showed everything inside was doi g well no infection and the dr said it was a very nice surgery he said I can try again on Friday back to work so maybe I'll wait till Tuesday to go back again and to be clear I only did 2 clients on tues and 2 on wed  before I went to the hospital I have always needed a brick to hit me before I accept what I'm supposed to do just my nature I think I'm superman sometimes but I am keepi g up my supplements and trying real had with protein and fluids. Thanks for the concern and I do learn every time I come on here 
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 12:02 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On January 19, 2012 at 6:33 AM Pacific Time, Robricc wrote:
 Thanks all I learned the hard way as always I spent the day in the er very dehydrated needed 3 liters of I'v fluids but blood work and X-rays showed everything inside was doi g well no infection and the dr said it was a very nice surgery he said I can try again on Friday back to work so maybe I'll wait till Tuesday to go back again and to be clear I only did 2 clients on tues and 2 on wed  before I went to the hospital I have always needed a brick to hit me before I accept what I'm supposed to do just my nature I think I'm superman sometimes but I am keepi g up my supplements and trying real had with protein and fluids. Thanks for the concern and I do learn every time I come on here 

Sarah_Anne
on 1/19/12 7:22 am
Rob,

I want to say this the nicest possible way I can.  You need to be able to learn from the people here or you are headed for a lot of serious trouble.  Yes, you can do it your way and learn the hard way but it will be at great cost to you and your body.

Please, accept that there are others that know better and learn to take advice from people who know more that you do.  This is especially important because you don't have access to assitance locally (or semi-locally).  We will do our best to help you out but please don't think that somehow you know better.  Learn from this.

Sarah
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
(deactivated member)
on 1/21/12 9:08 am - FL
DS on 01/13/12
 Hi Sarah,
   I do have my local dr, nutritionist and bariatric surgeon for all my follow up I never do anything without a full set of what I need I even have my therapist specializing in bariatric surgery patients and my monthly support group, so that is all ok
    I do really listen and process everything you all tell me and accept that I am a baby at this so please don't think I am not listening and learning, I am. I am being told by my body to slow down trust me and I am doing so!
   Again thanks for you advise
       Robert 
determineddanni
on 1/21/12 3:09 am
I agree with Sarah.

Also I am only 5 weeks out from surgery. I was following everything to a tee! I was sipping, eating mushies, and doing my walking. I started feeling good at 3 weeks out... not 4 days! I am 26 with no comorbidities. I am young and had not complications to speak of and I was discharged at 2 days. Well, I started running a fever and went back and was discharged again at 4 days. There is no way in hell I could have been back to my desk job let alone a hair salon.

You are not out of the murky water yet! I developed an abcess at week 3! Yes week 3. You need to slow down or your body will fail you. You might feel you need to do things but are you really listening to your body? Because no body wants to be expending energy like you when it is healing from a major surgery. Listen to DS'ers on this board, they know more than you.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/12 4:37 am - FL
DS on 01/13/12
 I totally agree with everything you all say and I am for as much as my hdad self will let me but I go through good and bad spells and when I don't feel well I take a nap but I have a very high pan threshold and don't like sitting around so I do what I feel I can and rest as much as my mind will let me. My dr. Here is also one of my closest friends and is monitoring very closely cause I can't out run him, lol. I am pushing my fluids and protein which isn't easy cause I do t want anything at all but I am doing it. As for work it makes me feel better to be with my clients and coworkers we are a close group and they are stepping in for anything I can't handle and I have an assistant that takes a lot of the pressure off me and I'm only doing 4 hour days so it really isn't as bad as it sounds. I do thank all of you and I do listen to everything you all say and take it to heart, that being said I am a hard headed workaholic and need to be there mentally I couldn't relax not knowing what was happening with my clients. 35 years of doing what I do and I still feel lost if I'm not in the salon
feeder3565
on 1/21/12 6:16 am
(deactivated member)
on 1/21/12 9:21 am - FL
DS on 01/13/12
 You can and indeed do choose to approach life with a  negative outlook but I will thank you not to spew you venom my way. I think in future you'll find people will respond better if you approach with some resemblance of kindness.