I'm 2 years out and I need some help.

Valerie G.
on 1/18/12 2:30 am, edited 1/18/12 2:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
To get my D up from 12 at it's lowest, I did 100,000 iu per day of dry D for 60 days, then down to 50,000 iu daily from there as my normal dosage. I couldn't rely on docs to get my D up. I watched and learned out here how others resolved their issues.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janet P.
on 1/16/12 8:13 pm
Tums are the wrong type of calcium. You need calcium citrate not calcium carbonate, which is what is in tums. If you're not going to do vitalady's supplements, you need Citracal or another calcium citrate. If you don't switch to citrate, eventually it deficiency will show up and affect your bones severely.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Kathleen F.
on 1/16/12 11:34 pm
I would have to echo everyone else and say that the easiest thing for you to do is go on Vitalady's starter pack. I can tell you, from personal experience, that a vitamin D deficiency is very bad. It causes bone and joint pain, and muscle weakness. Low D and inadequate calcium consumption means that calcium is being leached from your bones and teeth. You must get on dry D3 and calcium citrate. Tums is useless. You need to be taking at least 50,000 IU of dry D3 a day! I take 100,000 IU a day and it took me over a year to get my D up to where it needed to be. Don't wait! Do it now!

Mhdemant
on 1/17/12 12:20 am - Oyster Bay, NY
Thanks for all of your input.  I will request the new bloodwork from my primary doctor.  I will order the vitapack from the vitamin lady.  My Viatmin D is at its lowesst but I have been having these problems since i was 6 months post op and they seem to be getting worse not better.  It does seem a little strange though that all of my other levels are good but I do not absorb Vitamin D. 

Janet P.
on 1/17/12 1:38 am
Probably the reason your D is in the tank is you've been taking the wrong kind of D. The prescription oil-based D will not absorb. I take 150,000 IU of Vitalady's D3 and have been for a long time. That, combined with 9 Vitalady Calcium/D/Mag per day, has kept my pth, D & calcium levels in the normal range.

In your original post you said you're in contant pain, always nauseus. Not sure how to advise you but you need to push your doctors for an answer. This is not normal. Let us know what your surgeon says.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 3:33 pm
Metformin makes me constantly nauseated. Has your doctor ordered an A1C? Have you been checking your bloodsugars? If youre still a diabetic, your blood sugars would reveal that but from what Ive read most DS paitents are in total remission of Type 2 Diabetes almost immediately following surgery so I agree with the previous poster, it doesnt make sense that 2.5 years later you are on Metformin.

Also, here is a list of complications you can have from not getting enough Vitamin D or not getting the RIGHT Vitamin D (also youre not supposed to take your D and Calcium together):

- rachitic tetany
- muscle pain and spasms
- weakness
- bone pain
- decrease in daily calcium absorption
- rickets (osteomalacia)
- osteoporosis
- concentrations in blood greater than or equal to 80nmol/L, there was a 50% reduction in colorectal cancer rates
- concentrations in blood greater than or equal to 50nmol/L, there was a 50% reduced risk of prostate cancer
- risk for type 1 diabetes increased dramatically in vitamin D deficient children
- higher circulating levels of vitamin D linked to a significantly lower Multiple Schlrosis risk

For more information go to: www.dsfacts.com

I wish you better health! 
gak
on 1/19/12 9:00 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Well it sounds like you have already been corrects on what you need to change. Just as added info I have always used the proper D3 - the dry from Vitalady and I started at 50,000 IU a day, labs low, so I doubled it to 2 a day.  Labs still LOW, it was not until I upped it to 3 per day for a total o f 150,000 IU per day that my levels FINALLY came up to where they should be. 

I am due to recheck them, but it can take a lot, especially when your low. Once you have some in your hands, I would start at 3 a day for at least a month. Then recheck labs and adjust as to what your labs indicate. Good luck in getting is raised, you can do it !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm