I'm 2 years out and I need some help.

Mhdemant
on 1/16/12 9:14 am - Oyster Bay, NY
 My name is Marc and I had a lap band surgery by Dr. George Fielding in 2005.  It didn't really help and I had complications.  In May of 2009 I had the BPDDS.  I eat more now than I did before the surgery.  I have no vitamin d (it's not measurable). My doctor not fielding can't find a way to get it up so he suggested a tanning salon.  I have had pain in the lower left abdomen since the surgery and pain in the upper right under my rib.  My heart is good, I've had every digestive test.  They found a lesion on my liver which seems to be a focal lesion.  Not anything to worry about.  However, I have constant pain, I'm always nasues yet I'm surprisingly always hungry.  

The doctor who looked at my lesion told my I have a fatty liver and he said I would go on a liver reduction diet.  I personally think they are out of answers.

I have an appt with the surgeon tomorrow.  

Im down to 262 from 351 and holding steady.  Any advice would be helpful.

Marc
Raven300
on 1/16/12 9:54 am
 Do you take Vitamin D3 supplements?  That is how I got my D up and maintain healthy levels.  It is a standard vitamin that all the DS folks have to take since we don't absorb well from our food.

My PCP doc also suggested that I start taking 'more sun' to solve my Vitamin D deficiency.  This same doc suggested I eat more green, leafy veggies.  I got a new doc and vitamins instead.
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Catnip
on 1/16/12 10:03 am - Ottawa, Canada
Please post your full supplemnt list.  
What you are taking, when and how much.  
Then we can start to help you.

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Mhdemant
on 1/16/12 10:53 am - Oyster Bay, NY
Thanks for the quick reply.

My meds are as follows:

Iron 65mg Morning and Evening
50,000 D3 2X per week
4000 D3 daily

My Vit A, E and K are ok.

I also take Tricor, Synthroid, Albuterol, Lantus, Metaformin, Protonics and Bystolic.

Thanks,

Marc
Catnip
on 1/16/12 11:55 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Wow

umm, your supplementation is really lacking.

Where is your calcium? your multi's
Is the D you are taking Dry d?  or oil based?
Honestly I think your best bet would be to go to vitalady.com and buy a 90 day starter pack of vitamins and take them and see what happens with your D and other levels.

What blood work have you gotten done?
What is it looking like?

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Mhdemant
on 1/16/12 6:38 pm, edited 1/16/12 6:39 pm - Oyster Bay, NY
 My bloodwork was done in December.  Mycbcwas fine, excepti was slightly anemic which I have been since the surgery,hence the iron.  Except for my triglycerides which were 450 and my ivitamin d which was less than 4 everything else was ok.  That is what is baffling...my vit a, e and k are normal.

For the vitamin d it was 50k capsul 2x per week a prescription and 4000/day dry.  

I do take tums 6-8 per day for calcium.

MajorMom
on 1/16/12 6:48 pm - VA
Prescription D is pretty useless to malabsorbers. Green squishy little football looking capsule?  Oil based D2...not going to do you any good. Go to www.vitalady.com and get the right stuff--find starter packages and get going. Here's a link on how to take it: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

mrsannie
on 1/16/12 8:15 pm
 You are probably anemic because you need to be taking Carbonyl iron not Ferrious suffalte!  Its the only kind we should take because it is much easier to absorb.  Its kinda hard to find but I take Feosol FE they come in 45mg caplets.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
newyorkbitch
on 1/16/12 8:56 pm, edited 1/16/12 8:58 pm
You need to be taking 50k per day of dry vitamin D.  The D you are taking is a complete waste.

You need to be taking calcium citrate,  not tums.  Citracal -  2 pills,  3 times a day.

Fielding should be shot for not knowing this.  Ren should be ashamed of herself.

What is your ferritin level?

You need to tell Fielding that DSers do not absorb the type of D he is prescribing.  And not calcium carbonate either.

Get the D and iron from vitalady.  And make sure you get a COMPLETE iron panel - incl. ferritin,  TIBC,  hematocrit, hemoglobin, etc.

If you need a good hematologist in NYC,  send me a PM.  Do not go to a hematologist at NYU!

I had my DS almost 12 years ago.  Ren was a fellow at Mt Sinai when I had my DS. 

larra
on 1/17/12 12:31 am - bay area, CA
Well, as you've already been informed, your vitamin/supplement regimen is both inappropriate in form, and totally inadequate in amounts. So I won't belabor that.
     What does seem weird to me, though, is that you are still taking 2 drugs for diabetes, when the DS almost always resolves type 2 diabetes, and also that your triglycerides are still very high when this condition is almost always resolved or at least greatly improved with the DS as well.
      Who did your revision? Are you certain it's a real DS? I've never heard of Dr. Fielding as a DS surgeon (seen the name before, but not associated with the DS ever). The issues with low Vitamin D due to such poor, really negligible supplementation, fit with the DS, but not the diabetes and triglycerides.

Larra