hoping to become a DSer...

airhead_74
on 1/10/12 4:32 am
DS on 08/20/12
I began my WL surgery 18 months ago. Working with a great dietician I lost 102 lbs in 6 months pre op. One year ago today was my surgery. The proceedure I got was banding over plication. The lap band combined with greater curvature gastric plication. Experimental but worth a try. Post op I have lost 132 lbs. Once my weight loss slowed to a crawl the plan was to convert to RNY. At my last visit with my surgeon he told me he wants to convert to DS instead.

I have researched DS over the past year and, from wat I have read, I feel this is a better option for me. I have an appointment with my surgeon again in two weeks. After that visit he plans to submit to the insurance for approval. I have continued with my dietician, psych DR & surgeon regularly since surgry so I am hoping getting the approval won't be a long process. Last time it only took two weeks. Between now and my next appointment with my surgeon I plan to do as much research as possible so I am prepared to ask him all the questions I can. Any suggestions on what I should ask or what I need to know would be extremely helpful.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

MsBatt
on 1/10/12 5:55 am
Have you changed surgeons? I ask because the one listed under your avatar doesn't appear to have ever done a DS.

While I agree that converting to the DS is a better option than converting to an RNY, I would NOT allow myself to be anyone's first solo DS. I've heard sewing duodenal tissue compared to sewing wet tissue paper---VERY tricky!

airhead_74
on 1/10/12 7:48 am
DS on 08/20/12
I did not know he did DS either. It isn't on his online profile. But, once he suggested it, I researched him and found that he has quite a bit of experience with it as well as most other WL proceedures.. He is the head of the department at the CC and imo the best of the best there. Believe me, I am very cautious. That's why I want to be sure I ask all the right questions before hand and learn as much as possible from patients who have had this proceedure already. SO expect me to be spending a lot of time here. lol

PatXYZ
on 1/10/12 9:00 am
Your surgeon isn't listed on DSfacts as a vetted surgeon and I don't recall ever seeing a patient of his on this forum. I know it's hard for you to believe that your surgeon might be misleading you, but I'm willing to bet he's planning to actually give you an ERNY or else you're one of his first DS patients. Ask him how many DS surgeries he has done and who he proctored with. Please check out DSfacts.com for more information and a list of vetted surgeons.
larra
on 1/10/12 10:31 am - bay area, CA
I agree that DS would be your best option. But last I knew, no one at the CC did the DS, and in fact they were known to be negative about it. So this comes a surprise - a welcome surprise if they are in fact changing their outlook, but still quite the surprise.
     I don't doubt that this surgeon is very experienced at other bariatric operations, but I would strongly recommend asking very specifically about his experience with the DS, how long a common channel he would make, does he plan on undoing what's been done to your stomach already and creating a true sleeve for you, and make damn sure he isn't planning ERNY.
    And if he really is doing the DS, please let us know. We are always happy to learn that more surgeons are recognizing the great worth of the DS.

Larra
Nicolle
on 1/11/12 2:30 am
Please, please make sure you ask this surgeon whether he is going to do a true DS or give you a ERNY--HUGE difference in long-term success and quality of life in my opinion.

Bottom line: fight like mad to keep your pyloric valve intact and part of your digestion (like a true DS)!

You have come so far already, please do not drop the ball now.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Victorious_one
on 1/11/12 3:34 am - South Central, PA

I agree with others--ask a lot of questions about his experience.  Remember, the DS is the the most complicated of all the weight loss surgeries, which is why most WL surgeons don't do them.

Check out the links in my signature for more DS information.

Good luck to you!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/11/12 4:59 am
I'm so excited for you, but also wary. In part because of your surgeon. I agree that the DS without a doubt is the best surgery, but am worried they are really going to try to talk you into some form of RNY. Surgery is just such a big deal, and revisions are an even bigger deal, so make sure you get what is best for you, that will hopefully last you for life, not just the next few years. Good luck hon.
airhead_74
on 1/12/12 1:27 am
DS on 08/20/12
Thanks to all of you for the great advice! I have just under two weeks before my next visit with my surgeon. So I am preparing my list of questions. And the information you guys have given me will help me know what to ask. I'll let you all know how it goes after my appointment. I know he feels that the DS will will me a better outcome which will help me in the future much more than the RNY,