Having some trouble

determineddanni
on 1/9/12 10:16 pm
 It is week 4 post op and the strained muscle is not as painful anymore but not completely healed. I feel like ****! My taste buds have taken a bad turn and it seems nothing is eatable. So now I am eating like I just got our of the hospital. Same with drinking, I have been pushing the fluids but I am only getting 50+ oz. I think I need to go to hospital and get a bag of fluids and maybe I start feeling better to do other things. I wish I could rewind to before I strained myself and all was going well. 

Any other suggestions?

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

MajorMom
on 1/9/12 11:35 pm - VA
Go get some fluids if at all possible. Keep drinking. You remember the trick with water, lime juice and Splenda? I suggested it to your hubby.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

determineddanni
on 1/9/12 11:47 pm
 I am having a major problem getting sweet things down. I start gagging and everything I eat almost seems to sugary even though sugar content is low. My taste buds hate me right now. Also this morning I almost threw up :( I took my ant- acid poll my doc prescribed but I think I need more ant-acid help.

MajorMom
on 1/9/12 11:52 pm - VA
See if the ER will give you some fluids. The nausea may be from lack of fluids.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

determineddanni
on 1/9/12 11:55 pm
 I am heading there right now and hopefully this will help a lot.

Dena73
on 1/10/12 2:36 am - Hamilton, NJ

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble.

I had the same issues with the food and the taste buds.  Everything tasted like poison to me and was too sweet.  I started making decaf, unsweetened iced tea.  That helped a lot.  I had a lot of trouble with water especially in the beginning.  Honestly, I have only been able to begin drinking water only within the last few months, it just goes down way to hard and hurts my guts.  However, I am able to tolerate it now.  Foods are tough for me still some days.  One minute I love it and the next minute it gags me.  I am sorry to say that I am 18 months out and this has gotten better but has not gone away.  It is much more tolerable though.

I hope that you get the fluids in and start to feel better soon!!

Dena

HW 294..... SW 277..... CW 161 ..... GW 160???
DOODLESNJ AND ELLEN G. ARE MY ANGELS   R.I.P. Faith...Beautiful Angel 8/26/10, you will be missed by all, gone but never forgotten <3 <3 <3
DENA    

beth-28
on 1/10/12 7:42 am
Hi Dani,

Sorry you are feeling bad! I hope the IV fluids work. Regarding your taste buds...you are not alone. For the first 4 weeks or so (for me) nothing tasted right. It was soooo frustrating.  ElizabethN. told me that, right now, we are eating to live. She said that it was normal for things not to taste good and for us to "not feel satisfied." That was where I was having a lot of problems. After eating, I was not satiated. I was full, but feeling like something was wrong.

I am starting to slowly normalize in my taste buds. Some things are starting to taste right, and some are still not right. Even now I still remind myself that I am "eating to live" and not eating for pleasure right now. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. Oh, and I am 6 weeks out and you are getting in more fluids than I am. I get about 40-45 per day, so you are doing great in that aspect.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Chilipepper
on 1/10/12 8:18 am
Go to the store and get some G2....it will help you replace the electrolytes and help stop the dehydration....

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

zuzupetals2u2
on 1/10/12 1:02 pm - Sedona, AZ
 G2 did help me too when I was feeling more dehydrated than I could keep up with last summer in the heat when I was more active. Another thing that helped was coconu****er and I was told they use it in the hopsital for severe cases of dehydration also. I didn't like anything sweet for 6 months so I lost my sweet tooth and did very well losing. I wi**** didnt come back as now I do struggle with the sweets. I crave them again. I remember that first month as the very worst and did notice, forme anyway that everyday got a little better. Hang in there!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

no_more_rolls
on 1/10/12 4:33 pm - Jackson, MI
Just a thought, but have you looked at your tongue in a mirror?  Do you have a coating on it?  Thrush will affect your taste and appetite.   It's not uncommon post-op due to the amount of antibiotics we are given.  If you have it, you will need to be treated for the oral yeast infection with either nystatin, diflucan, or both.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"