Anyone know how provolisa is doing?

Lisa A.
on 1/9/12 12:19 am - Windsor, NY

Haven't seen any updates lately and just wondering how she is....

Sher Bear Mama
on 1/9/12 1:02 am
 Lisa is doing great!!!  She's on another site now (see my signature) and I'm not sure she checks back here much.  But last I heard she's doing very well.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

Lisa A.
on 1/9/12 1:12 am - Windsor, NY
Is it the pro boards?

Sher Bear Mama
on 1/9/12 5:10 am
 Yep--and I just checked and she hasn't been on since the 24th!!!!  I've been so caugh up in my stuff that I haven't noticed.  I think I'll send her a PM and see how she's doing.  Have you had contatct with her since the 24th of Dec?

Sher--the bear mama

Lisa A.
on 1/9/12 8:43 am, edited 1/9/12 8:43 am - Windsor, NY
Haven't heard a word and she also hasn't updated her blog....hope she is alright.

ms2mrsmyers
on 1/11/12 10:29 am - Terre Haute, IN
I have been wondering about her also. I really miss her posts.
NoMore B.
on 1/13/12 6:23 am
I have her email address, I'll drop her a note and make sure she's ok.
provolisa
on 1/19/12 5:51 pm - Provo, UT
Hi guys, thanks for your concern. this is the first time i have been online since Christmas Day, when I was sent by ambulance the 45 miles to Salt Lake City, after the local hospital found fluid outside my digestive system by Cat Scan and they feared a perforation. (I had finally been talked into going to the ER due to a severe pain that started on Christmas and ruined my plans to visit home)

Anyway, Dr. Simper did an exploratory laparascopy with an endoscopy, and found two blockages formed by my scar tissue as I healed, and he took care of them. However, after 2 more Cat Scans and an Upper GI with small bowel follow through, they still kept finding the excess fluid in there.

Meanwhile, I was nauseous to the point of salivating and dry heaves 24 hours a day for two weeks, and I had (TMI) horrendous diarrhea that left a trail on the floor to the bathroom every time, in spite of my wearing an adult diaper. I was going about once an hour, day and night, and this also lasted for two weeks. It was not helped by the contrast dye they kept making me choke down. My only consolation is that I threw up all over the radiology room during my Upper GI (Ha Ha!) I TOLD them I couldn't drink any more of that stuff! They were also hanging 6 little square IV bags of antibiotic per day the whole time I was in the hospital, so that wasn't helping the nausea or diarrhea, either!

Finally, Dr. Simper came to the conclusion that the fluid outside my digestive system was not an abscess, because nothing was indicating that it was. My white blood cells were normal, etc. He concluded that it might just be the way that I heal, and he discharged me once I could get my fluids down on my own. He said that if I could get my fluids down, I could at least drink my protein. I had about given up hope of ever getting better or ever getting out of there, so a window of hope was opened when he said that, and I talked him into letting me drink regular 7-Up, which is what my mom used to give me when I was nauseous when I was a little girl. Over 4 days, I built up to being able to drink 16 oz of it over a 12- hour shift, and then I choked down some food, and got the hell out of there. May I NEVER be stuck in a hospital for 2 weeks again!

Since I have been back at the nursing home, where they know me and give me much more personal care, I have had my struggles too. My Albumen is down to 2, and so the dietician says that I need 145 g protein a day instead of the 80 grams of protein a day in our diet, so I have been told to eat 4 high protein snacks a day, on top of the three meals a day. It seems like all I do is eat and take pills. The second that my stomach can take anything else. I have to stuff it full again! The nurses are letting me use the computer tonight because I can't sleep, so I immediately came here to look for Whey Protein recipes, so that I don't have to EAT every second I am not taking pills or digesting the previous food.

Meanwhile, I broke out in a miserable rash from my neck to my knees. The house doctor here at the nursing home has put me on Prednisone, so it is finally subsiding, but he took me off of all of my supplements, to add them one-by-one once the rash is gone to try to find the culprit. So, at least I am not taking as many pills as I was last week, but I worry about how long I can go without the supplements. The Dr. said that it is probably not the thing I am taking it for, but actually just some binder or other ingredient in the pill (whichever one it is) He is going to see me again next week, and hopefully start testing my pills. I see Dr. Simper next week also.

I have had some problems with my emotions. I have had some buyers remorse, off and on. I have also sometimes wanted to die. But, with schizoaffective disorder hanging around in the background, it is not unexpected. Actually, my stomach doesn't hurt anymore when I eat, nor do I get nauseous. I lost 30 lbs in the three weeks between my first surgery and getting out of the hospital. I think that the big ingredient in my life that has been missing is all of YOU wonderful people! I need the support! I will not be able to use my computer until next month. The final payment was due this month, and the store was nice enough to let me have an extra month, but they insisted on holding the computer until I pay it off. (I am buying it used from Rent-A-Center, 90 days same as cash, so I am very lucky that they made a deal at all. My husband had to spend a lot of money on rides to the hospital in Salt Lake City this month.)

OK. This is too long. But I wanted to let you know what has been going on, and why I have not been in touch. I sure appreciate your asking about me!!!!!

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

MajorMom
on 1/19/12 6:55 pm - VA
It's good to see you back on the boards, Lisa. Keep after the fluids and protein...more protein than 80 grams is always better :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisa A.
on 1/19/12 8:56 pm - Windsor, NY
I am so happy to hear that you are on the road to recovery. I think it is normal to have buyers remorse when you are so sick after surgery. This surgery is one awful, serious surgery. Yes, some people come through it wonderful (so jelous) but some people have an awful time (like us).

It will get better - and even though I really couldn't eat for six months and was sick all the time I am always hungry now and feel like I'm eating all the time.

Take Care of yourself!