Any problems taking effexor after DS

usandall
on 1/8/12 7:32 am
I have been taking effexor for years and it works for me.  I would like not to play around with it as my youngest needs me balanced and the mom I have always been to her.  I had suffered some repeated losses several years ago and at one time I yoyoed taking them and not taking them however eventually I made a choice it was better to take it and be ok then in that dark place I have no desire to return.
Thank you for your response.
Donna
Fluffy Muffin
on 1/8/12 7:59 am
Hi there. From what I understand, as long as the effexor is not XR (extended release) you should absorb it fine.
usandall
on 1/8/12 9:05 am
Yikes it is xr................
zuzupetals2u2
on 1/9/12 6:18 am - Sedona, AZ
 I take Effexor 300mg a day (100 mg 3 x a day) which is a high dose and if I miss a pill I can have black moods. Just prior to the surgery my psychiatrist  put me on Pristique (which she calls a super Effexor- and it is XR)  as it is time released and then it will last past the first 2 days where my surgeon said I couldnt take any pills post op. It worked well until I could take them again.

She said there is no way to take a blood test to see how much is being absorbed but personally I dont think I am getting the same absorbption as I did as I have always felt a little more "down" than usual but she didnt want to increase it so I am living with it for now.

Not getting the carbs also can have an effect that way and that was more her concern. I do tend to agree if I went too lean on the carbs I had higher anxiety also so I stay on a moderate amount not the lower 50 gram amount. But we are all different and YMMV (your mileage may vary) but I am giving you imput from my experience for what it's worth!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

usandall
on 1/9/12 11:04 am
I so appreciate it...................  I was thinking it might be wise to change from what I currently take to the short acting as you are taking.  I begin feeling a bit down if I miss a few doses however the worst side effect of  a low level is nausea and vomiting as it effect the receptors in your brain.  It is horrible.  I have heard non medical people say it is horrible to wean off.  However since it is a good drug for me except the expense I did not care if I ever was taken off of it.  That said now that I am set to have the surgery I wanted to visit the idea specifically with effexor on this board and I can not thank you enough for being willing to share.  If it is OK with you since you are a fellow effexor user I would like to keep in touch.  I am not sure how to do the friend thing but if you could send me a friend link with effexor in the title I would be grateful.  I assume I will not be able to take it for a few days post op.................yikes.  Thanks again Donna
dtabor5
on 1/9/12 10:55 am
I take it, 150mg/day. they only thing was Doc. updated the dosage to work with the DS. I have not had any issues with it at all... Good luck

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

usandall
on 1/9/12 11:07 am
Wonderful and how long after surgery did you have to wait to take it?   I am very concerned about this as I need to stay right side up sort of speak for my youngest.  Can we keep in touch just in case I have questions?  if so please send me a friend link.  I am so grateful you responded specifically because you take effexor.  Sincerely appreciative Donna
dtabor5
on 1/9/12 11:32 am
came home on it

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

usandall
on 1/9/12 12:56 pm
wonderful I will pack and take it to Mexico.  Thanks Donna