has any one had dental problems after ds

usandall
on 1/8/12 7:27 am
Just a off the wall question has any one had problems with their teeth after having the dS.  It might be a stupid question and if so I am sorry.
Thank you in advance.
Donna
fullhousemom
on 1/8/12 7:43 am
It's not a stupid question at all!  I have wondered the same thing.....Will my dentist notice a change in my teeth?

I do feel that the natural "taste" in my mouth has changed, and I wonder if some of the acid from my stomach early on had an impact on my teeth.  I'll be waiting for an answer too!
MajorMom
on 1/8/12 7:52 am - VA
No, just age related...normal wear and tear.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Dudette
on 1/8/12 8:38 am - Edina, MN
Good question! I haven't had any problems per se, yet I anticipated some ahead of time. I had major dental work done less than a week before my DS. I paid a lot of dough about 10 years ago to fix all my top teeth with a top cosmetic dentist in my area. Those teeth still look great. However, I procrastinated on getting my bottom teeth done.  They were a hot mess last fall right before I had my surgery down in Mexico. I had a bad molar, a broken/abscessed tooth on the lower left and various and sundry other dental issues that I decided to get fixed while I was down there south of the border.

I wanted to go into my surgery with 100% healthy teeth and no bad bacteria floating around in my system. Plus I didn't want to deal with having to go into the dentist AFTER surgery when I should be focusing on healing and learning how to eat healthy and live with my new stomach.

Anyway, I ended up getting prepped for 8 new crowns right before my surgery along with two root canals, a post, a thorough deep cleaning, panoramic xrays... as they say in Mexico... the whole enchilada. The next week (the day I got out of the hospital) I went back in to the dentist and had the new porcelain crowns cemented on and had a dental implant screwed into my head (to replace the bad molar).

I'm super happy with how everything turned out.  I haven't had any issues with all that "trauma" my teeth had to deal with the week of my surgery. The work was major, but the pain and discomfort was minimal. I LOVED my Mexican dentist!  I'm also being a good girl and taking my calcium citrate every day to make sure that my repaired teeth stay healthy and strong.

If you have dental issues, don't be an idiot like me and procrastinate. The sooner you get it fixed, the better. 

Sunshine16
on 1/9/12 7:21 am
Good question, every since I had my surgery I do question if its the cause of the deteriation of my teeth. My lab work for calcium and vitamin D is even better but I had this strange swellen in my gums, and all of a suddew my tooth cracked  and now the tooth is dead, so strange because it was an healthy tooth.  I felt my teeth were not as healthy.  So I up'd my vitamin d dosage, and it feels much better...they feel regular now.  I do think the surgery contributed, however, my mom doesn't have the best teeth either. So its in my DNA.  
usandall
on 1/9/12 10:01 am
You sound like my tooth twin:)  How much vit D are you taking so I can follow in your foot steps. 
Thank you
Donna
Sunshine16
on 1/10/12 12:02 pm
I take 50,000 IU bought from vitalady daily.  I use to take it a couple of days a week, however that is defnitey not enough.  If you are already taking it daily, please consult with the experts/veterans.
usandall
on 1/10/12 1:15 pm

I ordered the 3 months pack from vitalady and her or her site customer service has been very helpful.  Thank  you Donna

Valerie G.
on 1/18/12 3:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Nothing on my end....except that I smile a lot.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

delm
on 3/14/12 7:06 pm - CA

Believe it or not this seems to be a very big concern in WLS patients.  I had my DS in 2000 and 8 years later my teeth began turning black, cracking, disintegrating.  I had beautiful white teeth.  Nobody seemed to be able to answer what was happening.  Today on my Yahoo Group someone mentioned that our saliva PH has changed after surgery.  That lead me to find this quote from the Journal of Applied Oral Science report on Dental Manifestations in Bariatric Patients:

the patients showed reduction in the production of saliva; in part due to the low absorption of nutrients by the intestine, which in turn can facilitate the mineral dissolution. The reduction of pH can lead or facilitate tooth demineralization (caries and erosion) and hypersensibility.

I am glad to finally have an answer, now if only I could reverse all the damage that has been done. I hope that answers your question