Anybody have problems absorbing Antidepressants?

Tufer777
on 1/7/12 1:18 pm
 Hi everybody.  I am 9/27/05 was the date of my DS.  I have been having panic attacks:(  I used to be on an antidepressant years ago & it worked like MAGIC, but not so much this time.  So bummed.  So it ocurred to me that it may be that I am not absorbing all of it.  It is water soluble incidentally (Viibryd).  Would love to hear your experience and whether you think it's being inneficient this time is related to my new "system"?  Thanks!
Sufia
A grateful DSer forever!
SW 223 CW 132 GW 117-125
Sher Bear Mama
on 1/8/12 12:42 am
 It could be that you're just on the wrong antidepressant.  Which one are you on?  I take Prozac--and it works for some and not for others. I've also heard about people using Lexipro and working well.  This is something you definitely need to discuss with a Psychiatrist (not just a regular family practitioner).  Before my surgery (early December) I made sure I took my pills (my antidepressants and my mood stabilizer--Lamictal) and dissolved them in a cup of water.  The mood stabilizer disintegrated in just a minute or two.  The Prozac took longer because of the outer shell.  But it still seems to be working.  If it hadn't worked there is always the liquid form of this drug.  You've got options for sure.

Also, if you're having panic attacks--a psychiatrist should be able to talk with you about what may be causing them.  Perhaps you need to keep an anti anxiety medication--my mom is on Lexipro plus carries an antianxiety medication with her to make sure she's covered if she has a panic attack.  Panic attacks are definitely different from depression and are often treated differently.  I hope this info is somewhat helpful.  I'm particularly sensitive to others who are struggling with these issues because I too have depression and the occasional panic attacks--then add in the serious mood swings and if i wasn't medicated I'd be a basket case.  Fortunately, it's all under control right now--no issues whatsoever.  

I wish you luck!

Sheri

Sher--the bear mama

Emily F.
on 1/8/12 1:41 am, edited 1/8/12 1:41 am
How big is the pill? My psych said it shouldn't be a problem bc they were small. I did have to increase one at 12 months post op and then had to decrease. I'm actually have more problems right now but I don't think its med related. I think its me.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
PatXYZ
on 1/8/12 2:25 am
The pill is designed to be immediate release, so the DS shouldn't impact on it. Maybe you just need an adjustment in dose or a different med? Do discuss it with your psychiatrist.