surgeon might switch fr/sleeve to DS..????

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 5:30 am
WOW.

I thought I was a ***** but you take the cake.

What if OUR tax dollars for WLS helped her become a healthy contributor?  Our tax dollars are wasted everyday, at least there could be a return on the investment here.
newyorkbitch
on 1/18/12 7:36 am, edited 1/18/12 7:40 am
If she were able to take care of herself after WLS and maintain good health,  I would agree.  But she isn't.

She said she has zero comorbidities.  She needs to get a job and support herself and her child.  It's not my job - it's hers.  Tough **** if she wants to be a fulltime student.  Adults make choices and we can't have everything we want.

Its a Secret
on 1/19/12 9:34 pm, edited 1/23/12 9:27 pm
Changed so that my post and information is not shared on FB without my permission or knowledge.

newyorkbitch
on 1/19/12 11:34 pm, edited 1/19/12 11:35 pm
 She has not put money into medicaid.  She wants to be a mom and fulltime student....sorry that's not what an adult needs to do.  She needs to earn a living somehow.  We can't have everything - such is life.  She chose to be a mom,  she chooses to be a full time student....she needs to make different choices.  And she cannot have a DS (or any WLS) if she cannot afford vitamins and supplements and a high protein diet and follow up care,  not to mention any complications that might arise.
Its a Secret
on 1/20/12 9:36 am, edited 1/23/12 9:25 pm
Changed so that my post and information is not shared on FB without my permission or knowledge.

me

CriscoNinja
on 1/22/12 2:32 am
DS on 06/05/12
Well, thank goodness we have you here to tell us all what to do! 
Well I used to have a link here, but you know how that goes...
Valerie G.
on 1/18/12 3:32 am, edited 1/18/12 3:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Beware of TJ surgeons. I've read of some extremely disturbing experiences lately. Some had so many problems, that they had to get more surgery once they got home, once they could find a surgeon willing to fix another surgeon's mess. Oh, please get many, MANY references for this surgeon. It's worth the wait or the fight homeside to get the DS from one that will take good care of you. A gal named Larissa comes to mind.

For vitamins, if you're frugal and watch for sales and specials, you can afford them. I spend around $30/month on average piecing together my regimen, and stocking up on BOGO sales. You don't need fancy bariatric vitamins. The dry versions of D, A, and K are pricier, but when you put those up against a BOGO giant bottle of Centrum generic equivalent, it evens out.

As for DS vs VSG - consider the averages. A restriction-only surgery yields around a 50% loss of excess weight. If you're supposed to be around 150 lbs and have 300 lbs to lose, then you may be a success by your surgery stats, but still be SMO by medical standards, thus still qualifying for WLS. Do you want to spend your hard-earned money to be successful and still morbidly obese? VSG may have a slightly higher percentage, but even with another 10%, you're still qualifying for wls.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

stormechaser
on 1/18/12 10:55 am
DS on 06/08/17
Britt..

I was 330lbs when I got the VSG. I was a full time student and used my loans to pay for Dr. Alvarez in Mexico. I did not qualify for Medicaid/Medicare even though I have severe arthritis and sometimes can't walk. (Thanks to Humira and methotrexate, I am doing ok now!) 

I researched the hell out of the VSG and believed I did the best thing I could for myself. I had to pay for everything myself and wing it for follow up. This is what I got:

-no follow up care
-no nutritionist to counsel me
-Vitamin D levels in the toilet (currently taking 5,000 IU daily-about to up that too-and yeah, I was told no supplements witht the VSG. Not true!!)
-4 1/2 yrs out and back up to 295lbs
-utter feelings of hopelessness and failure
-going throught the steps for a revision

I don't want to discourage you-we all know what its like to be fat. However, I am in agreement with the others that you should wait. I don't have a child, but there has got to be a way to work with that issue.

And even though NYB was a bit harsh...she's right. You need to get a job. Believe me, I know its tough. It sucks that I work 40 hrs a week and have to make 3 round trips a week-1 hour each way, to finish my last two classes for my BS degree. Its a sacrafice, but I needed health insurance and I had to do it. There was no other way to get health insurance. I have to live at home to make ends meet, but I know the payoff will come eventually.

But on a positive tip, you are actually at a really good point in your quest. You have a little bit of money stashed for this. You are researching and getting really good insight from the vets. Start making a plan. Write out your wants and needs versus your realities. You'll see that you aren't quite ready to go ahead with any surgery. Believe me, I know I should have waited for a full surgery with malabsorbtion. 

I hope everything works out for you. I truly understand how it feels to want it so badly and not be able to get it.

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Britt_Bearpaw
on 1/18/12 11:37 am, edited 1/18/12 11:38 am
Thanks everyone for your replies. Actually, I had a full time job & went to school up until September of last year, but I was laid off. I have applied at a ton of places, but never get calls back. I worked at a traning program that specializes at helping people with issues-my issue being 500 pounds and not being able to walk/stand for long periods of time. I believe I am not being hired because of my weight. Having a job would help a great deal, it helped me pay my bills and save a small amount for this surgery. But, I am still actively looking. Hopefully one of these days I get an interview instead of the "we'll call you next week" bit. I dont have any illnesses, but I am in severe pain all day. My knees give out on my frequently, and I can't stand for longer than 10 minutes. I am going to continue with the researching...thank you all