surgeon might switch fr/sleeve to DS..????

Avonlea
on 1/8/12 11:56 am
Also, you need to know that you WILL have vitamins you need to purchase/track/maintain with the sleeve. The sleeve removes the part of the stomach that absorbs B12, and you will need to a) have regular blood tests to make sure you aren't deficient in B12 and b) pay for B12 supplements (usually sublingual tablets or shots) if you need B12 supplementation. It's not true that the sleeve doesn't require a vitamin regimen.
Britt_Bearpaw
on 1/8/12 12:07 pm
Really, I did not know that. Everyone I talked to that had the sleeve told me they like the fact that they dont have to take vitamins...hmm..thanks for letting me know!
Nicolle
on 1/9/12 12:14 am
Yep, read what the SMART VSGers over on the VSG board have to say about vites. People like MacMadame who are actually living with their VSG for years. YOU NEED TO TAKES VITES, no matter what surgery you have.  Some VSGers even take more vites than I do! (I take 14 right now and 8 of those are calcium citrate).

As a woman in your 20s, you should already be on a vitamin regimen of some sort. Add surgery to that that either restricts your food intake (hence your vites) or gives you malabsorption and you will become deficient. 

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Avonlea
on 1/9/12 6:55 am
 The sleeve is really popular right now and a lot of people are getting it, and a lot of surgeons who don't know much are recommending it. You need to research. You absolutely will need to take vitamins and track your vitamin levels in your blood. Think about it -- of course nutrients are absorbed through the stomach, and a lot of that is removed. It is common sense that you need to take vitamins.
J G.
on 1/8/12 1:29 pm
Red flag!  I don't know of your surgeon. 
Check out Dr. Ungson in Sonora, Mexico.  http://www.clexci.com/

1.  At 450 lbs you will do better with a DS
2.  At 450 lbs Your children are at risk of being motherless.  Take a close look at your budget and see if you can give up cable or a cell phone plan to find money to buy vitamins.  Vitamins are a must, even with other surgeries.
beemerbeeper
on 1/9/12 12:56 am - AL
1.  Please for the love of God do not go to TJ for ANY reason.  It isn't SAFE. 
2.  Please don't let a surgeon tell you what surgery to have.  It is your body.  Your decision.
3.  If you do decide you might need the DS you MUST use an experienced DS surgeon.  There IS one in Mexico and he is NOT in TJ:  Ungson.
4.  Read more about the DS and the benefits. At your BMI if you were MY duaghter I would be helping you learn about why you need the malabsorption of the DS.  
5.  Please listen to all these people who don't know you but have taken time out of their lives to try to save your life.  They know about the butchers in TJ and about people who have died or almost died by going there for surgery.  They have no ulterious motives.  They just don't want to see another young person die.

PM anyone who has posted to you that seems to be making sense to you and ask them to help you.  Any one of us will be happy to do so.

~Becky

inkedandsleeved
on 1/9/12 2:36 am
 your vsg surgeon is a respected one, i have many friends that have gone to him.
however, at your weight i think the vsg-ONLY will be insufficient for you. after years on the vsg boards (i'm a revision, i just got sleeved), i have yet to see but two 300+ ers successfully take their desired weight off (and they were shooting for overweight range, not normal). i myself am a switched - to DSer, and had my sleeve safely and well done in mexico. however, i would not get my DS done by that surgeon because he is LEARNING the DS. he's an expert sleever, however.
but not the same thing at all. look up on the dsfacts (or is it dsinfo) site to see the accepted vetted DS surgeons.
it really isn't worth having to go through twice in my opinion. you can always get sleeved then switched, but there are too few docs that don't consider that a revision, and also it's the same price as getting both done.

save up for the switch. i wish i had that as my first surgery instead of having to go through it all over again and getting a switch. it's about 6k more than rodriguez' sleeve through dr. marchasini.

whichever way you go, vites are a must. the vsgers that don't take vites suffer about 2 yrs out, so make sure the advice you're watching is from folks who are long-term
Britt_Bearpaw
on 1/9/12 11:33 am
thanks everyone so much for the feedback. clearly, i have alot to learn about this. I dont have cable, or minutes on my cell, and I havent since I started saving for the sleeve. I really dont have anything I can cut back on, and no real income. How much does it cost for Dr. Ungsun?
Its a Secret
on 1/9/12 1:12 pm
Britt,

Rather than saving for Ungson.  Please change your PCP to one that works with bariatric patients successfully.  You will be approved but you need to find a GOOD DS surgeon that will help you get approved.  While you are doing these two small things...READ and learn.  Know what you are getting into, your medicaid will pay for RNY or DS but I will say the long term success rate for the DS is better.  You are young, you have time.  You will have a 6 month follow up with a nutritionist or doctor required but I hear you can challenge that, talk to Diana.

Unless you just want to spend money, take it slow and let the insurance you have pay for it. 

Keep the faith!!!

newyorkbitch
on 1/18/12 3:56 am
Here's some tough love.

You're a 25 year old kid.  You have a child.  You have no income and you're a full time student and you want to use your student loans to pay for a surgery you're completely unprepared for and can't afford to stay healthy afterwards?

Life is full of tough choices.  You chose to have a child,  you are choosing to be a full time student.

Get a damn job.  Too bad you want to be a full time student AND a mother AND get WLS AND have no income AND get medicaid to pay for it AND use your student loans for surgery....

Adults at some point realize they can't have everything.

Time to make some mature choices.

I'd love to be a full time student and a mother and do lots of things.  Guess what - I have to earn a living.  And so do you.

My ******g tax dollars pay for medicaid,  and I don't want to pay for your WLS while you make choices you can't afford.

Get a job.  Maybe you'll get some decent health insurance and in a couple of years you can have a DS.  Maybe you can't be in school right now - something's gotta give. 

Grow up.