Please comment on my lap band doc email regarding DS

newyorkbitch
on 1/7/12 11:34 pm
He did over 350 DS surgeries before 2003?  Bull****
usandall
on 1/8/12 5:40 am
I have no reason to doubt him.  I think the dS has been around over 20 years.  I do appreciate your time and  responding.  He did send me an email today offering to take out all my fluid and give me free office visits for 3 months to get me back where I am which is 10 cc which does not make sense as it does not equate.  The most he ever inserted in my band at one time was a 1 cc and most often it was less then that.  I received 18 months of  free fu and I did not stop until the last 3 months.  He probably means well it just does not seem the band it right for me. 

The last thing I want to do is continue to chase the same cure I did for the last couple of years.  I am tired and the thoughts of refilling and getting my hopes up each month that this will be the ultimately fill which will be the solution is exhausting.  It works for other but not for me.  There is a humorous statement defining insanity  which is doing the same thing over and over however expecting a different out come.   I am sure you have heard  of it.  That where I am in regard to the lap band. 

I want something which will work and I can deal with committing to the fu labs and vitamins.  You do what you have to.  It sounds like a great exchange for being able to move and not have all the extra wt. 

I am truly exhausted over what feels like a life time of one diet or fat fix after another.  I want something that will be a life time fix and I will not have to spend another 18 k on something 2 years from now.............if that makes sense.

Thank you for listening and responding to my post as it is sincerely appreciated
Donna
Sher Bear Mama
on 1/8/12 1:15 am
 I just got my DS on December 5th. My surgeon is a Kaiser doctor and so he doesn't do the DS often but is an amazing surgeon who helps put people's innards back together after accidents, cancer etc.  When I first told him I wanted the DS--he was really worried and wanted  me to know how serious a surgery this is.  He also said the his DS patients tended to be the smartest and most competent with follow up than any other type of bariatric patient he's had.  He said that we're more educated/informed, and seem to care more about our bodies than other patients looking for a "quick fix".  He also said that he thought that the DS was right for me--that he wished he had more patients as informed as I am--but that this is definitely a serious surgery.

I'm nearly 5 weeks out and have had ZERO bouts of diarrhea and only go to the bathroom once a day if that.  I'm actually constipated right now.  I've tried bites of several types of foods and nothing seems to bother me thus far.  Recovery was easy and I'm really happy I made this decision.  All of the bad things he told you about the DS aren't the norm.  Yes, they can happen, but DS patients learn to listen to their body so that they make sure to eat the foods that agree with them.  I'm very certain that your doctor is discouraging you from getting the DS for one of two reasons--either it's because he's totally uneducated about the DS surgery in general, or because he knows he will lose you as a patient if you chose the DS--he'll lose the money.  I think the latter of the two is probably the reason.  Unfortunately, this is what most DSrs go through before finding the right surgeon.  

Would you mind disclosing who your doctor is? Several of the vets who's been around longest aren't here on this board any more and have moved on to another board.  However, there are a few who still check back here and they may have more information about your surgeon than you do.

Hope this helps!
Sheri  

Sher--the bear mama

usandall
on 1/8/12 7:02 am
usandall
on 1/8/12 7:03 am
sorry what I meant to copy in the space was I sent the md name to you in private as to not speak poortly of someone.
Thank you
Donna
Sher Bear Mama
on 1/8/12 8:19 am
 If you didn't mean to send this, you can delete this posting.  Good luck!
Sher--the bear mama

usandall
on 1/8/12 8:52 am
thank you I deleted it.  It was intended for my old lap band surgeon but not post here:)
Donna
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 3:37 am
 350 in a year?  Doesn't seem right.  3 out of 350 do labs?  Doesn't seem right.  

I can't speak to DS specific issues, I just try to learn them so I can speak intelligently with others about WLS options.  But, this guy's email just doesn't add up to a picture that makes any sense.
usandall
on 1/8/12 7:05 am
Thank you for your response
Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/8/12 4:01 am, edited 3/25/12 5:34 am - Tuvalu