Help! Xpost

determineddanni
on 1/6/12 7:51 pm
 I had my DS on 12/19 (so about 3 weeks ago) and yesterday I pushed myself up on my chair using my arms  but I got a sharp pain on my left side under my boob/ribs (granted I have pushed my self up many times with no problem). So whenever I breathe low, breathe deep, or scrunch my tummy it gives a stabbing pain. It's like I stretched wrong and I caught something on my ribs.  Tonight I got up to go the bathroom and kinda felt light headed. Went pee which scrunched my tummy and the pain was still there. After getting up I almost passed out, I have never passed out before and this was totally weird. Ears started ringing, head felt full of air, and I started to breathe hard. As soon as I laid down and husband elevated my feet I was peachy. Is it because of vits? I have been gradually been upping them taking everything now except b-complex, iron, and folic acid. They are in eatable form and make me gag, so  I am ordering pill from from Vitalady.   I have had pain like this before surgery when I has pulled something or got a very painful air bubble.    Are these connected or separated? Please vets give me your info! Sorry for this being long. 
Also a note I had a very hot electric blanket on me all night, which could have not helped.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

MajorMom
on 1/6/12 7:59 pm, edited 1/6/12 8:01 pm - VA
It may be internal healing or a muscle pull. Let the surgeon know what's going on and let him advise you on this. Please let us know what he says and take it real easy today.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lisa R.
on 1/6/12 8:15 pm, edited 1/6/12 8:32 pm - UT
You and I have the same surgeon!

And that's probably why we have/had the same pain. At my two week follow-up, I asked Dr. Simper about it and he told me that there was one internal suture he does and it attaches to the muscle fascia which would slowly dissolve.

I couldn't bend over without the pain like I was being poked with a knitting needle inside my upper belly, nor could I lay on my left side, the right side was only slightly better. So sleep was flat on my back for the most part. Scrunching the belly hurt. Reaching or stretching for items hurt. Pressing lightly on the one incisional spot about mid-belly under the right breast HURT! Everything else was healing fine, but that one problem area. 

Then, at 3 weeks, I had a visit to my general practioner, and he again reiterated that the suture would dissolve between one to two months. The very next night, I was awakened with sharp pain in the same area, but once it subsided, the tugging/pulling pain was gone. I could sleep on my sides again! I could bend over without discomfort. I'm guessing the suture finally let go, and I am so grateful it didn't hang in there for another 3-5 weeks. Ugh! 

As for the light-headedness, ringing ears, rapid breathing, etc. from scrunching your tummy, that sounds like a vagal episode. I, too, had one of those while in the hospital just after my BPD/DS surgery. It happened when I strained to urinate the first time, trying to find a way to make water without pain. Instead of rapid breathing, though, my breathing actually stopped and I got extremely chilled to the bone. Vagal episodes can manifest in several different ways. Talk about scary. My lips were even turning blue! A respiratory therapist, two nurses, and my husband all worked at trying to calm me out of what they thought was a panic attack, although the respiratory therapist kept mentioning this "vagal episode" thingie. I had to look it up on the 'net. Dr. Simper ordered a CT scan of my chest to rule out pulmonary embolism, which it did, and on a visit from him later, he confirmed that what I experienced was indeed a vagal episode. He said that passing out is usually what it takes to snap out of it--the system sort of does a reboot after that--I never passed out, though. After the CT scan, I was warmed through and through because of the radio-active contrast that is used intravenously. A fever actually set in, and during one of my walks around the hospital floor, that fever broke by drenching me in a running, dripping sweat. After that everything seemed to mellow out. 

By the way... the heat pad was my best friend, and cuddle-buddy until that suture finally dissolved. Heat -does- help! 

* Gail R *
on 1/7/12 4:03 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Thanks for sharing your experiance. I always learn something new here-even at over two years out.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

determineddanni
on 1/7/12 2:57 pm
 I know the suture your speaking, it is not in the area I speak of. I will admit that suture was a pain in my butt and did hurt to move around. Dr. Simper did explain this to me but since then my suture has let up and I could move freely. 
What is happening now is very sharp pain in a very weird area, quite high. It was after I stretched weird.... I do plan on calling Simper tomarrow and ask him about what you described. Maybe he can give me a direction.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150