Help maintaining weight loss

pastorwilli
on 1/4/12 10:33 pm - rosedale, IN
I had my DS a little over 2 years ago and recently started gaining noticable weight.  I'd like to blame it on stress and less time to exercise, but I'm certain that my eating habits are not what they need to be.  

Recently, I hired a personal trainer to push me a little at the gym.  However, I know I need to also change my eating while making sure to get in all the nutrients my body needs.  And...I feel hungry most of the time!  Ugh.  If I don't eat something every couple of hours, I start to feel light headed and yucky. 

Has anyone else been here?  Any insights or support to offer? 

I've got to make some changes...I'm not going back to the old me.

Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/12 12:45 am
* Gail R *
on 1/5/12 2:55 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Good advice from Tara. Always have the healthy snacks at hand and in the front of the pantry ond refrigerator. Mindless eating is my enemy when I get the every two hour hunger.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

pastorwilli
on 1/5/12 8:29 pm - rosedale, IN
Thank you.  Making sure that I have quick go-to snacks is a must for me.  Sometimes this gets me in trouble.  What are the healthy snacks you keep around?  I'm open to new suggestions. 

* Gail R *
on 1/6/12 3:16 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I know that the easy ones get boring so I am always on the look out for a revolving bunch of foods. Off the top of my head: String cheese sticks, sliced lunch meats, yogurts, cheeses, boiled eggs, humus with cucumber chips, boxed ready made protein drink. Right now I have easy to reheat a serving of Lentil and ham soup, pulled BBQ beef, and cheese bacon and spinach crust less quiche. These keep quite a while in a cold refrigerator, but usually get eaten by my kids...  When I want a crunch treat, I put a small handful of shredded cheese on a paper plate, spread very thin. Microwave about 45 seconds. Experiment with your particular oven. When cool it should be a crispy lacy  wafer. Watch to be certain you don't burn it.
I am never at a loss for ideas, just don't always have the stuff in the house!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Valerie G.
on 1/5/12 4:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Yes that honeymoon of shameless eating is over.  I gained some weight my 3rd and 4th years post DS, about 20 lbs and one clothing size and was not happy about it.  Changing jobs did it for me, for I'm not on my fanny anymore, and eat sporatically at best...doing my best to get meat in, which isn't hard having a BBQ now (I nibble on meat bits all day).  I did drop 15 lbs without even trying, and i think I've dropped the rest too.  I've not weighed myself, but my smallest jeans fit me wonderfully and my friend says she can see a difference.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ezziesmomma
on 1/5/12 12:14 pm - Fort Bragg, CA
Boy, Do I hear this one!! 2 month short of 3 yrs and putting a few pounds back on... not something I want to do!! Got to get back on the wagon~ It's soo hard this time of year, now that the holidays are done I can get the SUGAR out of the way.
I can notice the difference in my pants too!

mrsannie
on 1/5/12 7:57 pm
I was 2 years in Dec. and I have realized my clothes are tight and if I don't do something fast I'll be buying new clothes -- in the wrong direction!!!

I also have gone pretty much gluten free since I can not eat bread or oats of any type without disastrous results.  My problem is that lately I have realized potato chips are gluten free!  I've been snacking shamelessly and need to get back on track.

Good luck to you!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
yorkieGal
on 1/5/12 9:51 pm - Clermont, FL

I am 4 years out on the 22nd jan and I have noticed now that I have to be so much more careful with simple carbs/sugar. I gained about 8lbs from my happy weight and I constantly work on it by trying to be low carb and high protein, walking and drinking water. The way I look at it is that my DS levelled the playing field...most people battle a few pounds now and then but its not a huge deal (unless you let it get out of control). I would rather battle with my few extra pounds than the 140lbs I lost from my heaviest.

I concentrate on eating whenever I am hungry, making sure it is high protein, high in fat and as low in carbs as I can...I find that like normies, some days I am hungrier than others and eat all the time and other I am much less interested in food......

I suffer from low blood sugar and horrible symptoms if I let it drop. It usually happens after eating or drinking something too high in sugar/simple carbs on an empty stomach. So if I want some chocolate etc I make sure its a small piece once I have eaten, this helps with the sugar spikes.
I try not to drink my carbs and stay away from sugary hot and cold beverages and I rarely have room for dessert when i eat out. My weakness tends to be chips and queso and a glass of wine, so I save that for one night a week and enjoy it!!

You can do this, its a mindset and this (and the other board) is a goldmine of information and ideas

Hugs,
Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!