why am i so hungry?

mandamonium
on 1/1/12 9:33 am
i had surgery on tuesday! and i've been trying to sip my water and broth daily and make sure i'm taking my meds and vitamins but I AM STARVING!!!! is it mental? or am i really truly hungry?
 hw 355/ cw 345/ gw 150 5'5"

MsBatt
on 1/1/12 10:09 am
Are you eating anything other than broth? I was on pureed foods from the start, but even so, I was really, truly, hungry---because all I could eat was a couple of bites at a time.

Dudette
on 1/1/12 11:13 am - Edina, MN
Starting at two weeks post-op up until approx. 6 weeks post-op I was starving all the time! I was a little annoyed. After all, shouldn't cutting out 85% of your stomach and taking away all that gherlin eliminate hunger?!

I knew it would pass. And it did. Nowadays I get hungry occassionally, but not the huge hunger I had that first 6 weeks. It sucks, but it will get better. :-)

Sher Bear Mama
on 1/1/12 2:19 pm
 I was STARVING in the hospital.  Then when I got home, it all went away--I lived on applesauce for days and days because it was all I could stomach--no hunger at all.  Then at about week 2 I got really hungry again--for real food.  My surgeon said I could go ahead and eat since I was tollerating food so well.  But I find now, that I'm sort of in that same place I used to be where I am bored and think about eating again. However, at least I can only take 2-3 bites at one sitting so I'm not overeating.  
Sher--the bear mama

J G.
on 1/1/12 4:35 pm
Yeah, I think its mental.  But I know it's there none the less.  I thin****pt myself so busy trying to learn and do everything right that I didn' have much time for head hunger. But eat as often as you want of the things your Doc allows at this phase.
Bonnie R.
on 1/2/12 7:50 am - Stratford, CT
 I was starving within a week of my surgery too. It is not in your head.  I would suggest protein drinks as an option, a little peanut butter savored on a spoon, there are also protein soups you can order online. I also did well with creamy tomato soup from Trader Joes (although I understand tomato bothers some people's stomachs early out).   I hope this helps.  I was hungry a lot and it sucks but eventually it gets better and you'll be able to eat more things.  Take it super slow and you'll do fine in the end.  
Jody W.
on 1/2/12 11:01 pm - Windsor, CT
I remember being hungry in the hospital and looking at the tray and feeling ill... I also remember walking the halls and there being used trays from other people and wanting to steal a cookie off of them... (hey... they did not operate on my head!!) But I made it through and you will too... some of it could be head hunger and some of it is probably actual hunger... broth and water does not stay in your belly that long... I dont care how small it is... Stick with your surgeons schedule and progress through the stages as advised.... Take Care!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170