need a revision to a DS from an RnY and need a DR in Mich, HELP!!!

bellacherie
on 12/30/11 11:32 am - Alanson, MI
pretty much the title says it all, help. i have BCBS and need a dr to do a DS
* Gail R *
on 12/30/11 12:29 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
There are only a handful of sugeons in the world who are qualified to do this very difficult surgery. People usually have to travel to have this procedure done. Two of the sugeons are in CA. I hope someone will come along to give you more details.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Paula R.
on 12/30/11 1:36 pm, edited 12/30/11 1:44 pm - Portland, OR
As was previously said, there are only a handful of surgeons in the US who actually can perform a revision from RNY to DS.  It is a very complex procedure, so not many surgeons either will do or have experience to do it. 

Ive heard of one DS surgeon in MI named Kemmeter, though I am not sure if he does revisions or not.  There is a list of vetted DS surgeons listed on DSfacts.com, which is a good place to check out as well. 

Unfortunately a person I know who is familiar with insurance issues is no longer here at OH.  If you look down at my signature though.....
My signature is in the witness protection program

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 2:50 pm
I don't think Dr. Kemmeter does RNY to DS revisions but you could call and ask.
shele
on 12/30/11 8:25 pm

What the others have said is right.  Also just because the surgeons profile says, ds, revisions, does not mean they can do a rny to ds revision, or even if they can.. they might try to talk you into an erny. They will tell you it is the same  as a ds, with less risk.  I have it, it does not feel the same as I hear described here.  If you have pouch issues, you will still have the same issues after erny, plus some. 

Be very careful.  I for one felt like such a failure after re-gain, I did little research on MY OWN, relied on a couple of posters here and the Dr telling me I would get the same result with out the risk.  Take your time, seek out all the info you can until YOU understand what YOU will be living with.  Trust me, do it right this time, even if it means a little longer time!  I am planning a revision next year to  full- Real ds.  I am very lucky to have alraedy been approved, but my home cir****tances do not allow me to carry through with it at this time.  I just pray that I will still get an approval next year.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I am very pssionate about all this, it is so hard to sit back and watch people going down the same dead end road that I have.

Good luck!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

lk1970
on 12/30/11 9:33 pm
Please contact Dr Kemmeter www.grandhealthpartners.com he has done revisions and he's an excellent surgeon.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

fullhousemom
on 12/30/11 9:38 pm
You can try Dr. Marek Lutzykowski in the Pontiac area. He has done mine and many others DS. You can ask him specifically about revisions.  BCBSM is a good insurance and shouldnt be a problem. However, you will have to look at your contract language to look at specifics. If your plan is self-insured utilizing the BCBS network of doctors, it could be totally excluded.   Get a copy of your medical plan document. 
Keep in mind that the revision surgery is a risky surgery, even with the best surgeon. Earlier this month a couple of people posted about the horrible problems they had had with their revision. That is why so many of us are so outspoken with the DS surgery.   
Best wishes!
clpeltz
on 12/30/11 10:29 pm
Nope...doesn't do RNY-DS revisions.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

WeeSteppn
on 12/30/11 9:48 pm
 I had a surgeon in MI do my band to DS. Not sure how that compares with RYN to DS but you can call and see if he does. He was great. Look to my profile for proper spelling of his name. LOL, I never get it right. Good luck. 

~Mandy~

Lap Band - Feb 28, 2007      Revised to DS Dec 1, 2009
5' 5" - HW 240, SW 200, CW 132, GW 125

clpeltz
on 12/30/11 10:28 pm, edited 12/31/11 3:30 am
The Doctors listed below are the ONLY ones that are experienced to do a RNY-DS revision. The ONLY ones. Sorry, there are none in Michigan...

Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, both are located in California

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada (Does most revisions in two parts)

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located in Brazil

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"