has anyone had an internal hernia??

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 3:55 am - Lafayette, IN
i have googled symptoms of an internal hernia and my symptoms match up pretty close but i would like to get a perspective from someone who has actually had one.
Moody_Blue11
on 12/30/11 4:49 am
Hello hmgaley...I am dealing with an incisional hernia myself as I had an open DS 10 months ago...I was diagnosed in early November...it has grown larger since then...I am dealing with nausea daily and sometimes a burning sensation....Probly have surgery in spring sometime...My PCP had me lay down on examining table and just bring my head up and felt it...mine is located in the midriff area just underneath my incision...I hope this helps you...if you havent seen your surgeon, I would make an appt with them...good luck
Felicia S.
on 12/30/11 2:20 pm - Lincoln, NE
My doctor is convinced that I have an internal hernia.  My pain is very intermittent.  It was excruciating pain near my xiphoid process and then radiated to my back.  I was vomiting.  At first I just thought it was bad gas.  My pancreatic enzymes elevated.  I was shaky.   I went to ER, got pain meds, and by the next day I was perfectly fine.  Doc explained that the intestines probably unkinked or slipped back into place.

He said when he closes us up he sews the mesentery with a layer of fat...when we lose that fat pad it allows the intestines to slip in occasionally.  He thinks mine is happening intermittently.  It can be very dangerous. 

As soon as I get insurance again I am going to get it taken care of once and for all.  I also have an incisional hernia.  Maybe he can do both at the same time.  We'll see.

What are your symptoms?
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

kiwicat
on 1/25/12 12:13 am - Knoxville, TN
I know this a relatively older post and I'm not on here that much - but I wanted to share my experience because I had two internal hernias last July and am going back in tomorrow because I may have another.

In my case, it started with stomach pain around my belly button that would start out as cramping and get worse and radiate around to my low back. Each attack would last about two hours and would usually resolve if I laid down. I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom but couldn't. At times I could pass some gas but nothing more. When the pain would go away, then I was able to go again and I would and then feel sluggish the rest of the day. The last attack I had before surgery, I almost passed out. They did not see these on CT scan or Ultrasound. He had to go looking for them. I had one that was 7 1/2 centimeters long and another that was smaller and the smaller one actually had small intestine trapped in it at the time of surgery. At the time, they tested my gallbladder b/c I still have mine and it was fine.

Fast forward to about a month ago when I had another attack but laying down didn't stop them this time. They were longer in duration and more painful. I've fought for over two weeks to get in to see the surgeon and I'm going back to surgery tomorrow for suspected internal hernia and this time they checked my gallbladder again and I have sludge so he's taking that as well b/c frankly, I'm tired of surgery. This will make my fourth surgery in less than two years. My original DS was April of 2010.

You don't want to wait with these hernias if you can help it because at some point the intestines can get trapped and not be able to slip back out and then you are in a life threatening situation.