Need advice (insurance/dr stuff)

songbird177
on 12/30/11 11:55 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
I've already done well over the 6 month diet, so that's not an issue. And as far as the consult with the surgeon, they won't schedule it until I've done the seminar, which I am scheduled to attend next week. I don't know if I should go ahead and do that now if I am having problems from my drs office getting the referral. Also, the surgeon's nurse/receptionist said I would need a referral from my pcp.
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 1:40 pm - VA
 I'm early in the process as well as far as insurance approval. It has been my observation so far from checking out 2 potential bariatric practices that the "seminar then consult" protocol is a thing. Also, the surgeons seem to put you on a pipeline geared towards insurance approval. They know what needs to happen to gain approval for you and seem to have the resources to make this happen, if you get stuck at any point in the process.
fullhousemom
on 12/30/11 9:51 pm, edited 12/30/11 9:55 pm
 I would go to the seminar as you stated you have to do that before your appt with the surgeon. Get that over with. You may find that your surgeon will be your number one cheerleader and can get things moving with your pcp and insurance company. They have dealt with these issues "zillions" of times!  Don't delay the process any longer and get to that seminar!  Things may fall into place afterwards. What have you got to lose?
fullhousemom
on 12/30/11 9:58 pm
 Also, if you find a new pcp and walk in stating you want a referral for DS surgery, they arent going to comply until they get to know you, your history, etc. you will only lengthen the whole process again!  Go to the seminar. They may be happy to educate your current pcp and get a referral for you. Dont try and do it alone!  
clpeltz
on 12/31/11 12:22 am
The vets that can really help you with this are not here anymore.  Check out my siggy!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"