Which iron infusion is best?? Venofer, dextran, ferrlecit, infed...?!

Larissa P.
on 12/28/11 9:22 am, edited 12/28/11 10:15 am - Denton, TX
I saw my hemotologist today, she's perscribing me Venofer and thinks I'll need to do 4-5 sessions every 3 months! Gah, why can't I have something that lasts longer?? And I've read somewhere that dextran costs half the amount? Should I be asking her for cheaper alternatives?

**edit: I'm in trouble, my insurance won't cover any infustion, period. :(

**edit #2: What about Feraheme?

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Larissa P.
on 12/28/11 11:05 am - Denton, TX
It only took me about 2 hours of desperate web searching, but the DS board came through, I forgot about this thread: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4322920/Feraheme-IV-iro n-injections-not-quotinfusionsquot-full/  !!

I'm asking my hematologist tomorrow, and I have United Healthcare just like that poster!

The long and short of it, Venofer is a prescription (not on my formulary) IV infusion that isn't covered. It also takes 4-8 hours (broken up into multiple visits).

Feraheme is an in-office IV injection that is covered like your B12 or allergy shot as part of your in-office visit. Nothing to pay beyond your normal co-pay!! And it only takes 2 - 10 minute visits, a week apart.

J G.
on 12/28/11 3:21 pm
Larissa, I guess you already found your answer, but I'll toss this out for others.  I had regular ole iron dextran (read:  cheap) and it worked great.  I had about 3 or 4 at four month intervals.  At the last check  I was good to go and didn't need a thing!
newyorkbitch
on 12/28/11 10:31 pm, edited 12/28/11 10:32 pm
 My insurance won't cover venofer, but it covers ferrlecit and that's what I've been doing for years. I do 4-5 infusions twice a year.  Get my levels checked every 3-4 months to make sure that remains a good dosage/schedule,  and tweak as necessary.

The infusions take about 45 minutes each time.
levittown_loser
on 12/30/11 8:42 am - Levittown, PA
I had Feraheme ... at the office about 30 mins.   5 min push.   2 pushes 2 weeks apart.  I then waited about a month to check my levels to see where it would get me and will retest 6 mo. and 12 mo. to get a baseline of how long a series will last me.   So much easier then taking oral iron for sure!

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

KRWaters
on 12/30/11 10:37 am - Manteca, CA
I so agree with  you! Taking oral is no fun adjusting when and with to take it.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Julie R.
on 12/28/11 9:23 pm - Ludington, MI
 I have Venofer because I had a reaction to iron dextrose.   I have to be admitted into the hospital for mine - my hemo won't do it at the oncology center.  I only have two very long, slow infusions, two weeks apart, every eighteen months or so.      My insurance would only pay for the Venofer, AFTER I reacted to the iron dextrose, unfortunately, LOL.   The one thing I've heard about the injection is that they can leave "tattoo" type marks on your skin.   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Larissa P.
on 12/28/11 9:42 pm - Denton, TX
The tatooing only happens with the intra-muscular type injections. Feraheme is injected into your vein, like a mini-infusion, or if you were taking heroin.

morgangirl
on 12/30/11 3:24 am - MI
Julie -
I know you had Dr. Kemmeter as your DS surgeon, but by chance did you come to Grand Rapids for your infusions also?  I called a hematologist in GR and they really seemed like they were making it so hard to become a patient.  The receptionist acted so uppity to me! 
Julie R.
on 12/30/11 8:02 am - Ludington, MI
 Nope - I had mine up here in Ludington, with Dr. Carol Peterson.

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125