So now what?

Valerie G.
on 12/29/11 5:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Vitalady's program is a great "Shotgun Spray Effect".  Some items may be more than you need later, but you won't go south on your numbers of the important stuff.  For instance, she has iron on her regimen, but ever since I was 6 mos post op, I haven't needed to supplement extra iron (huge red meat eater here).  That being said, she didn't have a regimen suggestion for DS back when I had mine, so I learned my needs by my labs and suggestions from the vets at that time.  My surgeon was way off on her recommendations and left me low on many items on my labs.  She had me taking an extra 400iu of D, when I needed 50,000iu daily.  Big difference, and my D went in the toilet and it took me nearly a year to get my levels up to where they need to be.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 6:14 am
 Dr. Ungson's vitamin regeim won't be enough for us. Luz is going to tell you to start with their program, not to waste your money on jumping into VitaLady's. If you follow their plan your numbers will tank. What they recommend is not even close to enough.

Read the bites and vites thread to get an idea of what people are eating at various stages of their DS (:

z85sparty
on 12/29/11 6:24 am - Mason, MI
 I didn't start with Vitalady's who plan at first, but I am pretty darn close to it now.  As you go you'll tweak what you take according to your own lab results. 

I don't rely on my surgeon to keep track of my vitamins and what I should be taking.... I do that all myself on an excel spread sheet.  A lot of doctors will only care once you're out of range, and I care when I start to see something tending downward.  With our DS it's not good to let things get into the deficient area before you start to adjust, because once deficient sometimes it's impossible to get your levels back up.

On a "normal day" I drink one or two double scoop protein shakes (50 grams protein/shake) and when I am in serious training mode for a Marathon I drink three or four of them a day.  Overall between shakes and food I average at least 150 grams of protein every day.  If I am under 120 for the day I will chug an other shake before bed.  

I try to avoid sweets and carb products like breads, chips, etc; however, I still treat myslef to them occasionally.  

Good luck on your DS journey! 

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

beemerbeeper
on 12/29/11 11:22 am - AL
VitaLady's starter program is not overkill.  You start on it and then tweak based on your own labs.  Your labs will tell you what is overkill.

Protein?  30 by 30 days, 60 by 60, 90 by 90 and AT LEAST 100 forever (based on labs).

I don't know why you think VL's plan is overkill.  People who are on her plan (tweaked by their own labs) typically do better than average.

~Becky