So now what?

larra
on 12/29/11 12:12 am - bay area, CA
If you haven't already, start reading at dsfacts.com - a great source for lots of info about the DS.
    regarding the vitamins, I love Litalady and look at her recommendations as a good starting point. After all, you have to start somewhere. But in the long run, what you take will be guided by your lab work - so for example, while ALL of us need the dry vitamin D, we don't all need the same dose. Same for other vitamins. And you don't need to buy everything from her website (though I do purchase certain things from her), there are some you can buy at Costco or your drug store. Again just as one example, I buy my multivits from Costco.
     It can seem overwhelming at first, but in reality the vitamins are very do-able. Crucial, but do-able. I hope you won't let this deter you from the DS. But as others have said, the vitamins and protein are absolutely not optional, they are a lifetime committment. And remember, you would have crucial vitamin and protein requirements with RNY also, just not as many. So yes, more vitamins with the DS, but you gain the advantages of being able to take NSAIDs (carefully) and avoid the lifetime low calorie, low carb, low fat diet of RNY, the chance of dumping, etc etc.

Larra
bugirll
on 12/29/11 1:13 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
Thanks for your reply.  It was very helpful.  I think I will start with the prepackaged from Vitalady and see how my labs are as it seems convienient for the beginning.  Then I will buy separately.  Im thinking of getting the weekly pill organizers and buying 4 so I can dose a month at a time.  If I do that it seems very doable.

Im looking to have surgery in March so i will have time to contiue to research what I need to know.

I really feel that the DS is the right surgery for me.  I was hesitant about the sleeve because questionable long term success.  The RNY was my next choice but was really concerned about dumping, no NSAIDS and no drinking with meals.  I am encouraged by the DS's long term results and resolution of comorbidities.  I am more excited about the surgery now that I have found a great doctor, Dr Unson.
Beckyann
on 12/29/11 11:42 am - Tacoma, WA
Dr Ungson was my doc too.  Had my DS in 2005.  I am very pleased with the results.  Lately I have been off track and am getting back on track.
I personally have found that I don't tend to get as malnourished as some.  But before this surgery I had severe constipation.....always....and type 2 diabetes.  My body holds onto and processes food slower thus taking more nutrients.  But even so, my iron and D can get low if I am not careful.  Others who said that you have to find what is right for you are correct.  I personally have found that 2, prenatals per day supplemented with iron and D usually work well for me. I also need to take b-12 shots too if I get behind.
I also take Cal/Mag but have to be careful because I had kidney stones before.  I also have some calcium deposits in my body.  So, for example, I take some calcium but not too much.  Everyone is different.  We are all from different racial and genetic backgrounds and we all had different issues before. 
And you have to adjust as you go.  If I get behind in iron, b-12 or D, then I have to step that up.
I have my next blood test in January so I will see how I am doing then.  Until then, gotta keep going with the vitamins.
honeybadger 11
on 12/30/11 1:54 am - FL
One suggestion on the prepacked is that you may not be able to take everything in the packed starting out. I started on chewable multi  and iron and opened my calcium and put it in water. I wasnt able to get on my full regiment til around 3-4 wks.

So if you get the prepacked you my feel overwhelmed and end up with vites just hanging around. I would do the seperates but that just my 2 cents:)

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

MajorMom
on 12/29/11 1:10 am - VA
Keep reading! You can ask me here, there and on the LW board...I'll tell you the same thing -- Vitalady basic plan to start and tweak with labs, protein > 100 grams a day, avoid sugar, wheat flour and sugar alcohols :) 

HOOAH?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

maryc543
on 12/29/11 1:12 am
It's really hard to find a nut who is well versed in DS.   Most of what I've learned is from others experiences.  Vitalady's regimen is extensive.  It's a great plan, but I've found I don't need to supplement my Vit A,  the blood levels have always remained high normal, so I don't add in those.  I needed more D, but less iron than most.  You start with her plan, and modify it based on your lab values.   Vitalady is a valuable resource, such a wealth of knowledge, and the best values I can find for the dry D's and K's I need!    (I also am a fan of her chocolate snack protein bars....  )           Good luck with your research, keep posting and reading!   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

* Gail R *
on 12/29/11 1:18 am - SF Bay Area, CA
There is a great monthly pill organizer that we get on Amazon. I will try to find the link for you.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Emily F.
on 12/29/11 3:31 am
Most people have answered your questions. Ungson is a great great surgeon but please do not think you will get post op advice. He is a great cutter. You need to take care of your post op self. Good luck.
Paula R.
on 12/29/11 3:57 am, edited 12/29/11 4:21 am - Portland, OR
I know it may seem overwhelming as far as supplementation goes, but in all honesty...the DS does tend to be one of those surgeries where what might seem to be overkill really isnt in the grand scheme of things.  There is some major bypassing and rerouting going on of our intestines.  Our bodies have evolved over time to do things a certain way at a certain time digestively.  The DS really does a number on all of this.   

What Id suggest is learning a bit more about the digestive system in general.  You know, where and when things get absorbed, etc.  Then overlay what you learn about how the DS changes those things.  Ill be the first one to admit that the level of supplementation required by the DS did seem like overkill and very daunting AT FIRST too.  But once I put the whole puzzle together, it made more sense. 

I am editing this to say that I thought Mary C's suggestion to start with Vitalady's plan and then adjust accordingly based on your labs was absolutely brilliant.

My signature is in the witness protection program

Fade2Pink
on 12/29/11 4:22 am - Salt Lake City, UT
The vitamin regime seems a bit overwhelming at first, figuring out what can be taken with what, and what things can't be taken together, and how much of this, and of that, etc.  But for me, it is now an easy routine.  I keep my vitamin shelf stocked.  I fill my vitamin organizer once a week.  I take them without hardly even batting an eye.  I do buy my dry forms of A, D, E and K from Vitalady, but use other sources for my other needs.  
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!