So now what?

bugirll
on 12/28/11 9:13 pm, edited 12/28/11 9:15 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12
Now that I have decided on the switch I am at a loss...I dont have a nut who can help me.  I looked at Vitalady and was over whelmed by all that she suggests to take...its got to be over kill.  What are the basics as vitamins are concerned?? and how much?  I know my lab work predicts alot after surgery but  there has to be a starting point.

How much protein?  What foods do I avoid?  Books to read? All I know about is RNY and I know it is very different.

I dont know what all Dr Ungsons office will be sending me next week so maybe there will be some answers in there.

I am a member of the other site too and have been reading there too.
Victorious_one
on 12/28/11 9:28 pm - South Central, PA

I would recommend starting with reading the links in my signature.  It will give you a good picture of what life is like with the DS.  Others will weigh in with resources to read.

I would also strongly recommend much more research before deciding definitively on any surgery.  It's important to know the requirements before making a commitment.

Short answers:

Protein - very minimum 90-100g / day, but that's just to stay alive.  If you want to be strong and feel good, most DSers take in a minimum of 120g, and many strive for 150g or more.

Foods to avoid - none, except simple carbs and flour if you don't want to deal with gas, bloating, stinky farts, etc.

Vitamins - Vitalady's plan is tried and true.  It has near universal support among DSers because it works.  Having your blood work tank or going into malnutrition is not fun at all.  If too many vitamins is a problem, this is NOT the surgery for you, I guarantee it.

Keep reading!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Janine P.
on 12/28/11 9:48 pm - Long Island, NY
I know that Vitalady's plan is insanely detailed, but like stated above; It's tried and true.  You really do need to take those vitamins every day, and then adjust according to your bloodwork results. 

Foods to avoid: That will vary.  For me, the only thing that gives me bad results is sugar in the form of candy (heavy duty sugar).  I can eat a little sugar in stuff like a slice of cheesecake, a cookie, or something like that, but if you try to feed me hot chocolate with marshmallows, holy geezus no. 

Protein - the more the merrier.  Try for 100 or more, but use the 30/60/90 rule (30 grams during the first 30 days post op, 60 grams by 60 days post op, 90 grams at 90 days post op).

Best of luck sweetheart!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

newyorkbitch
on 12/28/11 10:29 pm
 Vitalady's recommendations are not overkill.  Why on earth would you say that when so many people here use her recommendations with success?  Ignore her regimen at your own peril.
bugirll
on 12/28/11 10:48 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12

Because some in here have stated that it is over kill.  If that's what I need then I will take it.  I am still learning...

beth-28
on 12/28/11 11:22 pm
On December 29, 2011 at 6:48 AM Pacific Time, bugirll wrote:

Because some in here have stated that it is over kill.  If that's what I need then I will take it.  I am still learning...

The seasoned vets are mostly gone from this site. Those are the people you need to talk to. The "some in here have stated that it is over kill" are most likely not the people you, as a newbie, need to be listening to.

I have spent nearly a year watching, asking questions, and learning from the seasoned vets. I know which advice that comes from my doctor or nut pertains to my DS or other's RNY. I hope you want to learn the same info.

If you do, PM me and I'll give you the address of the place where the vets now gather.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

bugirll
on 12/28/11 11:47 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12
I am already a member.
beth-28
on 12/29/11 12:31 am
So did you post the question over there? I'm sorry....I missed it if you did. Though you really did get your answer here. NYB, Larra and the others are correct, they are necessary.

And it is far easier to cut back on your vitamins to correct high amounts than it is to try to increase low level labs.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

newyorkbitch
on 12/29/11 12:08 am
 Go ahead and count how many people find it overkill and how many people use it successfully.
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 7:51 am
Hi Bugirll,

I have never felt VitaLady's schedule was over kill, however when I first tried it, I became nauseated. Hindsight as it is, and when my labs began to tank with a combination of Ballastar's and VitaLady's schedules not being enough--I put my unhappy ass back on VitaLady's schedule and haven't looked back. Not only did I no longer get nausea, I actually feel better on VL's schedule.

I do think some DS'ers are lucky in labs--some do not need as much intake. But some do. Some need even more. The point is to monitor YOUR labs and adjust as indicated. Be proactive and remember your mileage may vary. Good luck!