Painful joints from Ibuprohen withdrawal

maryinmn
on 12/26/11 11:22 pm - MN
I'm coming down to the last days before surgery on Thursday and was told in my pre surgery class that I couldn't take Ibuprohen anymore.  It was a mixed class of RNY, Lapband, & DS so I'm wondering if this was just a well intentioned blanket statement.  I see other posts where DS'rs ARE able to take Ibuprophen and hold out hope that someone can verify this.  I've been 8 days now without any Iburpophen and my knees, feet & shoulders ache so much!  I take one vicodin each day to take the hard edge off the pain but that doesn't have anti-inflammatory properties, I don't think.  Tylenol just doesn't do anything for me.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
callmeEJ
on 12/27/11 12:47 am - Minneapolis, MN
Someone a bit farther out with more knowledge may chime in here in a bit, but it's my understanding that DSers (and VSGers) can take ibuprofen SPARINGLY, and only AFTER we are sufficiently healed from surgery. There is still a risk of ulcers, but not nearly as much as with RNYs.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/27/11 1:26 am
 I know that my surgeon's office said that certain drugs make healing harder and increase risks of bleeding and othe complications.  NDSAIDS (like Ibuprophen) are some of the drugs they asked me to stop using 2 weeks prior to surgery. I lived off of Tylenol for my joint and back pain--Tylenol was ok to use.  As far as I know, NSAIDS are ok to use later on in moderation--but those are just MY surgeon's guidelines.  

I'm sorry Tylenol doesn't work for you! Funny thing, I had surgery just 3 weeks ago and I haven't taken ANYTHING for pain since surgery.  My joints and back are better.  Not sure if it's from the 22 pound weight loss or if it's from resting so much during recovery. In anycase, I consider myself lucky!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

JazzyOne9254
on 12/27/11 1:52 am

When you are healed a bit more, you will be able to take ibuprofen again.   Immediately post op, you don't want to impede healing by taking it.  It hampers blood clotting, and it could cause bleeding issues during surgery. That';s why they tell you to stop taking it pre-op.  My ban was for two weeks pre op, and a month after, six weeks total.

With the pain meds they give you post op and to take home, you won't even care!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/27/11 5:48 am
 I'm unclear which surgery you are getting, but if it's the DS or sleeve, you will be able to take NSAIDs again. If it's RNY, you cannot have NSAIDS EVER again.
teachmid
on 12/27/11 2:46 am - OKC, OK
My surgeon had me start liquid ibuprofen about 10 days out to supplement my narcotic pain medication,

Now I take Advil if I need it, but rarely do.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

no_more_rolls
on 12/28/11 4:04 pm - Jackson, MI
You should be able to take NSAIDS (like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium) a few weeks post-op if you are getting the DS or sleeve. You can not take it prior to surgery because of increased bleeding risks. I have lupus and suffer from chronic joint pain. I choose the DS because you can still take NSAIDS as a post-op because your pyloric valve remains intact. The no NSAIDS thing ever is a RNY rule because your pyloric valve is removed and a stoma is created...which if you take NSAIDS with a stoma you will be at greater risk of developing an ulcer...which is why you can't take them if you have an RNY. If you are getting the DS or sleeve you should be able to take them a few weeks post-op.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

MsBatt
on 12/29/11 12:33 am
The reason you're off NSAIDs right now is because they're blood thinners---most surgeons want you off them for 10-14 days before surgery of ANY kind. I had to be off them for 2 weeks before I had a colonoscopy!

But after you've fully healed from a DS (or a Sleeve), you can take NSAIDs, with no more risk than you had pre-op. (NSAIDs do have some risks for ANYONE.) I would not be able to function with out my Aleve!