I have switched to the switch

bugirll
on 12/28/11 4:51 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

After reading on here about the DS I have decided to investigate and have pretty much decided to go with it.  I'm looking at Dr. Ungson in Mexico-spoke to him today and he stated that I would be a good canidate. 

The problem is that my head is full of all this RNY stuff.  I need to figure out what vits to take and read about nutrition/what to eat and how much. 

I am just so happy at the thought of being able to drink some with meals and being able to take NSAIDS=)

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 5:26 am
Good for you!

Dr. Ungson is an ecellent surgeon.

Most of the vets from here have moved.
Beckyann
on 12/28/11 5:40 am - Tacoma, WA
Had DS almost 6 yrs ago with Dr. Ungson.  Have been mostly happy.  You will have to change the way you eat still.  Focus on protein.  I haven't had type 2 diabetes since.
MajorMom
on 12/28/11 6:20 am - VA

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Dudette
on 12/28/11 6:58 am, edited 12/28/11 7:01 am - Edina, MN
I can also give Dr. Ungson two big thumbs up! He assisted Dr. Aceves with my Lap DS three months ago (because I chose to have the surgery in Mexicali rather than Hermosillo - long story).

Anyway, almost 90 days later and I'm doing great!  No post-op complications, infections, pain, etc. I was up, mobile and active almost immediately after surgery. I seem to be progressing a bit slower than some when it comes to introducing new foods (like dense proteins) and the amount I can eat at each meal is a little less than some DSers, but I am adjusting quite nicely.  The further out I get, the more I can drink with each meal... if I simply must have something to drink. In moderation, of course, because protein still comes first. I haven't taken any Advil or other NSAIDS since my surgery (haven't had any reason to), but it's nice to know that I can if I feel the need.

The best part is that my blood pressure is way down, I have TONS more energy and as for weight loss... my ticker below should give you an idea. Good luck with your DS in Mexico. :-)

Fade2Pink
on 12/28/11 10:33 am - Salt Lake City, UT
If you are anything like me, you must feel relieved to learn that there is a surgery that will work for us, instead of depriving us of eating good foods, drinking with our mals, etc.  Dr. Ungson has a great reputation.  Please know that he is THE ONLY surgeon in Mexico that has an excellent rep for doing the DS.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

bugirll
on 12/28/11 10:42 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
I am very excited...thanks everyone. I have great confidence in Dr. Ungson. It was so great just to be able to talk to him instead of office staff running interference like I end up getting here in the US. HIs office staff is going to contact me next week when they get back from vacation to give details. I convinced my husband to let me go. I will be going alone probably in March. It's my parents who are the non believers in surgery outside of the country. My father started getting really upset when I told them about Mexico.
J J the Jet Plane
on 12/28/11 12:29 pm
If you have someone who could go with you- that would be great.  If you have to go alone- you have to- but if you could have someone be with you while you recover, in my opinion that is best.

Happy you found the right surgery and surgeon for you! Congrats!
JJ
Dudette
on 12/28/11 12:32 pm - Edina, MN
My Dad freaked out when I told him I was going to Mexico too. His first reaction was that he thought I was out of my ever-loving mind. Now, in hindsight he thinks going to Mexico was a brilliant move. He's one of my biggest supporters. Love my Dad!

I didn't tell him until the day before I left, so he wouldn't have too long to dwell on it and worry. I explained my co-morbidity's (high blood pressure), how physically miserable I was and how the surgery was going to improve my health. I promised to call him everyday when I was gone... and I kept that promise.

Regarding traveling alone... a lot of people do it successfully. I was lucky enough to have my daughter travel with me to Mexico. She left and flew back to college the morning after my surgery. My husband came down the night before I got out of the hospital and traveled home with me. I was alone for 4 days in the hospital and it was no big deal. I had my cell and laptop. I Skyped and Facebooked with my family. I spent so much time on the phone while I was recovering!

I felt well enough by the time I was ready to be discharged from the hospital that I could have easily traveled home alone. However, if you do go alone it's a good idea to have a contingency plan or two in place in case something goes wrong. I had several of those and shared that info with my family, but fortunately I didn't have to use them.

lk1970
on 12/28/11 8:05 pm
Congrats! Good choice!! Keep reading on here to kick all the RNY outta your head!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!