General Insurance Question

songbird177
on 12/27/11 2:36 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
So the dr said they sent in the referral (for new dr consultation), just wondering how long I should give the insurance company before I start calling and checking on it? Thanks!
Tina.D
on 12/27/11 2:39 am - TX
No reason you can't call to make sure they have it on file and are reviewing it.  Usually referrals don't take more than a couple of days to get approved but with the holidays a lot of companies are a little under staffed.

But call your insurance carrier and ask to be sure they have it and are reviewing.

Good luck!

songbird177
on 12/27/11 5:13 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
Ok I will give them a call now. Thanks!
JazzyOne9254
on 12/27/11 2:45 am
 That really depends on the insurance company, and how adept your surgeon's office is at coding correctly and getting the paperwork through. My paperwork was pretty painless. Sailed right throough.  Others have to walk through fire to get their surgeries.  I

I would give it two weeks, then start calling. and make sure you make or keep copies of EVERYTHING - medical records, referrals, names dates and summaries of phone conversations...EVERYTHING.

One thing I found very helpful - ICD-9 coding book.  So you can double-check everything.

If you're getting the DS, the pre-legwork is a good boot camp on the vigilance you'll have to practice  for the rest of your life as a DSer.

Good luck!
songbird177
on 12/27/11 5:12 am - Carmichael, CA
DS on 12/03/12
This is just for the consultation, not the actual surgery.