do you measure your food?

RKLC2002
on 12/26/11 9:34 am - Omaha, NE
I had my DS Oct 14 and I'm loving it.    I'm down about 55 pounds so far. 

I'm not currently measuring/weighing my food that I'm eating, but I'm wondering if I should be.    I know I get 30 grams of protein for breakfast with my shake and I have just been guestimating on my other protein foods.  

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

teachmid
on 12/26/11 9:43 am - OKC, OK
I don't measure anything. Makes eating seem like a diet.

You might take a look at the Bite Vites and Exercites thread.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Tina.D
on 12/26/11 9:49 am - TX
I count slices and stuff but I don't measure cups or teaspoons.

How much protein do you think you get a day?  For me, I find I need two triple protein drinks a day (60 grams each) to be sure I have enough with the foods I eat.  

newyorkbitch
on 12/26/11 10:49 pm
 Why don't you eat more protein (in your food I mean)?
Tina.D
on 12/27/11 3:42 am - TX
newyorklady (sorry I can't say the other word, my preference), the quantity of food I eat is really small still.

I developed a lot of intolerences early out that are still messing with me, for example, I can't do yogurts, eggs, or any type of poultry - those items will bloat me if I'm lucky.  Because of my age, I was a candidate for lactose intolerance which happened too so it took me a long time (7 months) before I could do cheese.  I still can't do most milks, including almond/soy, cottage cheese, mayonaise or crumbled cheeses.   Not sure why it is that way, usually yogurt works for people who are lactose intolerant but even with my lactose pills and prilosec the result is never good.

By not being able to eat mayo (egg based product), it limits how much I can do in things such as crab or tuna salad.  

That leaves me bacon (which fortunately I love), deli meats, now cheese, beef and seafood as my go to items.  

I do eat about 50-60 grams of protein a day on a good day, but if I slip up and eat one of the intolerant foods on accident it is a good 5 hours before I can eat again. 

It's all just a process.  Hopefully in a few more months another intolerance will lessen and I can add another item to my menu but for now, the simple smelling of poultry is enough to make me want to vomit.   I tried an omelet the other morning and after the first bite I just took out the inside and ate the meat and cheese but that one bite made me miserable until about 2pm.  

Everyone's mileage is different, I just try to go with the flow and work it the best I can.

orangecrushed
on 12/26/11 10:27 am - Triad, NC
I use a program to track my intake.  My Fitness Pal is really good... you might check that out to track protein intake.

I don't weigh anything, though.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Join me here: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

Katie K.
on 12/26/11 10:31 am - Grand Haven, MI
 I use my fitness pal.. they also have a great iphone, droid app. 

What it does for me more than anything else is keep me honest with how much protein I am getting in.. while it feels like you are getting alot.. numbers tell the truth.. 

I have yet to measure my food.. 
"Nobody will fault you for trying" - My mother
Seminar: 1/8/2011. Initial Appt: 1/27/2011. Behaviorist: 1/31.2011. Surgeon 1/31/2011
Sleep Study: 2/7/2011.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

beemerbeeper
on 12/26/11 10:38 am - AL
I didn't measure food but I did count protein and carbs.  I also found that protein by supplement was more important for me than just protein counts.  The more protein supplements I did the better my weight loss results, regardless of the amount of protein I ate by food.

I kept my carbs very low throughout my weight loss and could not have done that if I hadn't been brutally honest with myself which required not only counting but reporting (on the Bites and Vites threads).

Come on over to the new site (see my signature) and join the vets and other newbies.

~Becky

Valerie G.
on 12/27/11 2:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
The only thing I ever measure is protein.  When considering meat, a deck of cards is 3oz.  It's going to be a while before you'll manage to eat any more than that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JazzyOne9254
on 12/27/11 3:00 am

I've memorized protein grams for a few foods, for dining out purposes, but I read labels for everything else I buy for home. For me, if it's less than 10g of protein, it's not worth it.   Eating like a DSer takes practice and time, but pretty soon, it becomes second nature, and normie nutrition becomes foreign to you.  Well, at least it did for me. 

DS eating, general rule-

Protein first, fruits/veggies next, anything else, last. 

Your mileage may vary, and you may have to fiddle around with your intake once you reach goal to find the amounts that help you keep your weight stable.  I still do a couple shakes to make sure I get all my protein in, and I'm almost three years out.