Is it too soon to eat this?

determineddanni
on 12/25/11 4:56 am
 My surgeon pamphlet says I can start eating soft proteins starting 7 days to 4 weeks post op. That is a huge window! They also said solid proteins are harder to digest at first. So what I am wondering is ... they never mentioned sea food. Can I have soft fish, shrimp or crab at 2 weeks post op? I have no idea what limitations are on seafood. Just wondering how wise is to introduce it to early?

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

MajorMom
on 12/25/11 5:02 am - VA
Shrimp was my go-to food early out. Shrimp ****tail actually. I had trouble with fish.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

gak
on 12/25/11 5:15 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I ate shrimp and crab pretty early out.. Fish definitely took longer for some reason. Whatever you decide to try, take it slow, your body will tell you a yes or no. 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Kingy
on 12/25/11 5:27 am - Hobart, Australia
The first solid protein I ate was shrimp (nom nom), give it a go, make sure you chew it really well and listen for your particular sign of being full.

NoreenRT
on 12/25/11 5:33 am - Warner Robins, GA
i was the opposite.  shrimp was too dense for me, but baked fish and crab.....i tore that stuff up.  so yummy with melted butter.
i agree with the other posts, whichever you do, take it slow, chew well, and your body will tell you if you should stop or keep going.
good luck!

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Raven300
on 12/25/11 5:39 am
 Somewhere in the 14 - 21 day period, I added shrimp to my diet at the suggestion of members here. It was a blessing. Easy to digest, already in a small portion size (yes 2 shrimp filled me up) and easy to prepare in advance or flavor at the time I was ready.  

I also had tuna fish from a can mixed with lots of mayonaise and with cheese melted on top.

I couldn't handle chicken breasts for 6 months although ground meats could be tolerated around the 4 month mark.

Congrats on the surgery and good luck. Remember get your protein in and drink, drink, drink.
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/25/11 5:48 am
 Hi Danni! It's so nice to see you posting.  I was told that I could eat just about anything but salads (raw veggies and fruit I guess), beef, breads (like bagles, pizza, etc.), pasta, rice--basically anything that can expand in the tummy.  Seafood was supposed to be fine as long as it is eaten in very small bites and very well chewed and STOP when you feel even a little full.

Good luck! How are you feeling?

Sher--the bear mama

nphelps4565
on 12/26/11 3:05 am - Belleville, MI
 My surgeon said seafood was a great source of protien at 2 weeks out :)  Eat it up!  I had no issues with it at 2 weeks out.
Nicole
                                            Julie R. is my Angel

Dudette
on 12/26/11 7:18 am, edited 12/26/11 7:18 am - Edina, MN
Around 8 weeks out I tried shrimp for the first time. I ordered a shrimp ****tail at a nice restaurant. I peeled two pieces of the jumbo shrimp and cut them into the tiniest pieces with a fork and knife. Then I smothered each tiny piece of shrimp with ****tail sauce before I ate it.  Within 30 minutes I was in the ladies room barfing up the shrimp. Too dense. FAIL.

However, 2 weeks later (at 10 weeks post-op) I tried snow crab legs dipped in melted butter. My stomach did not revolt. SUCCESS! They were frozen legs that I picked up in the meat dept. at Super Target. Crab meat seems to be a lot easier to digest than shrimp... for me anyway.

Regardless of what type of seafood you decide to try... now might be the perfect time to stock up. I just noticed in today's newspaper that all the grocery stores are running great deals on lobster, crab legs and shrimp this week because folks tend to buy that stuff for New Year's feasts. I'm planning to hit the butcher shop this evening so I can fill my freezer with crab legs, lobster tails, etc. YUM!

EDITED TO ADD: I am not saying you should wait until 8 or 10 weeks to try some soft seafood. I just had to wait that long because my stomach is finicky when it comes to denser foods and I've had to take it slower than some folks. Your mileage may vary. :)

JazzyOne9254
on 12/26/11 9:01 am, edited 12/26/11 9:02 am

It depends on how well/fast you're healing.  Consult your doctor about that.  It was 4 weeks for me.

Scallops were my go-to food early out, bay or sea.  Sea scallops(the big ones) pack a whopping 32g of protein per serving.  Bay scallops are good too, but it takes a lot more of them to get 32 g of protein.  I think a serving  of bay scallops is somewhere around 13 g.  You can get a good sized frozen bag of bay scallops at Wal-Mart, from 5 to 7 bucks a bag, depending on where you live.  You can get cooked (pink) or raw (grey-looking) frozen shrimp there too for about the same price.

I had a litle trouble with water packed tuna, it was too dry, so I got the tuna packed in oil, which is kind of hard to find these days.  Baked or poached fish were kindest to my tummy early out. 

Beef and pork are the hardest to digest, even ground.  I would start with the seafood, then work your way up to chicken. Dark meat has more fat, so that might sit a little better in the beginning.  The further out (and healed!) you are, the more varied your meals will be.