Came for the DS, left with the VSG

merly6800
on 1/7/12 10:40 am - Canada

Hi everyone, I had a VSG done July 2, 2009.  I stopped losing weight at about 18 months out.
I originally wanted the DS when I started searching WLS, but was told that OHIP wouldn't cover it and I was going to put up a fight.
I recently started looking into Plastic surgery and want to get maximum results.  So I got to thinking that maybe if I got a DS I would get to my goal then get PS done. 
I've been in touch with Dr. Gagner who I would have chose to do my DS originally.  He is able to do the 2nd part of the DS for me.   We are in communications.  At the time I started looking into the DS, Dr. Gagner was working in Florida, then moved to Europe to do surgeries.
Just thought I would add my 2 cents to this.
VSG works for alot of people, but for me I'd like to continue with the DS to get to my goal.
Marilynn

Jennifer D.
on 1/7/12 10:57 am, edited 1/6/12 10:59 pm
Dr. Gagner may have been doing surgeries in Europe but he moved directly from Florida to Montreal.

Sara, you are further down the list than #3. I often see posts on here that will list Dr. Gagner as the professional that he is (especially for the most complicated surgeries) but also as a 2 part DS surgeon. I also ended up having my surgery in 2 stages. Thank God I was covered through our provincial insurance but I still ended up spending over $2000 just to travel.
Julie, I hope you do better than me with the VSG, I really didn't lose much and drifted back up before my second half. I started trying to schedule pt. 2 after 3 months because that was the first timeline I was given when I woke up (the told 6,9,1 yr). It ended up being 13 months with some heart ache and head aches in between.
I feel bad for the self pay patients. Will you receive a discount on your original surgery to put forward to the second half?
I forgot to say congratulations on making it one step closer : )
jmckel1
on 1/7/12 1:19 pm, edited 1/7/12 9:57 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Jennifer,

Dr. Gagner says he will put me on the surgery schedule to have the second part done in 6 mos. While I'll get a bit of a discount, it will be nominal - perhaps $2500. Since operating costs are largely the same no matter the surgery, it will cost $15,000 (after discount) to have the second part done. Looking at cashing out my RRSP for that.

Hope you're well,

Julie
DS: 2011 (Dr. Michel Gagner) SW: 240
VSG: 2012 (Dr. Michel Gagner) SW: 256
Lap-band: 2006 (SW: 226) , 2011 (SW: 236) (Dr. Christopher Cobourn)

Jennifer D.
on 1/7/12 1:21 pm

Argh, sorry to hear that. Did you meet other OHers on your journey?

Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150