Came for the DS, left with the VSG

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/11 3:33 am
larra
on 12/24/11 12:30 am - bay area, CA
I agree wit NYB's comments on Dr. Gagner - he's one of the best DS and DS revision surgeons in the world. If he felt it wasn't safe to complete your DS, there was a good reason.
     regarding timing, I would push for 6 months rather than a year, assuming you have headed well from this surgery. The this would enable you to benefit from combining the malabsorption with as much restriction as possible. Also, from what I've seen from others, it takes a long time to get things scheduled with Dr. Gagner, so even if you aim for 6 months it will probably not get done that soon.

Larra
Victorious_one
on 12/24/11 6:45 am - South Central, PA

I agree with Larra about six months.  That's a lot better than two years.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
(deactivated member)
on 12/24/11 10:20 pm
I had my revision surgery with Dr. Gagner on the 20th.  He was only able to complete the VSG part of the DS for me too.  I knew before going into surgery that this was probably going to be the outcome of the surgery.  Dr. Gagner wants to do the second part of the DS sometime in the summer.  He told me 6-9 months from now.
He wants me to have the second part of the DS because the RNY surgery did not work for me.  He told me that the VSG and RNY have a similar rate of weight loss and percentage for keeping the weight off.  I may lose well at the beginning with the VSG and then level off or I may even gain weight due to having my absorption back.
Since, you were a band revision, you may do well with the sleeve alone.  I am glad that your surgery went well.

Happy Holidays!
Penny
jmckel1
on 12/24/11 10:25 pm - Ottawa, Canada
So glad your surgery went well, Penny! I was wondering how you were doing, as well as how Sara3's surgery went.

Have you already spoken to Veronique about scheduling the second part of the surgery? Just wondering when we should ask so as to get it done by the summer.

Merry Christmas!

Julie

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/11 2:51 am
LaToya S.
on 12/25/11 3:31 am - Edwardsville, IL
I am so glad you posted this. I have the VSG and recently started to look into the DS as an option for revision. I want to get as much weight off as possible. I too was wondering how long I would need to have the VSG before asking for a revision. But I am also hoping that I am sucessful enough with the VSG.

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

sara3
on 12/26/11 3:16 am
Hello all,

Especially to the fellow Dr Gagner patients, I am the third member of the "go for a DS, leave with a VSG" club.

Unfortunately, I had no idea this was a possibility until just before surgery.  I'd be interested in communicating with you both privately about your experience.

Hope you're healing well,

Sara3

Tammy D.
on 12/26/11 9:11 am

As I recall from my pre-op research: in some parts of Europe they intentionally did the DS in two parts for many years, this was to facilitate the higher BMI patients.  The 2nd part was done based upon a percent of expected weight loss, with a minimum time span before 2nd surgery.

No, sorry, I couldn't find the old bookmarks from my early research.  Dr. Gagner is highly respected in his field, I am sure he will have definite ideas and criteria for when it should be done. 

You could make the best of your VSG time to determine for yourself if you need further surgery?  Does the thick abdominal wall mean that any further surgery will be open rather than lap?
Century Club: Thanksgiving Day 25November2010  I am truly grateful
Diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and GERD resolved along the way. 
Onederland:  Citizen & permanent resident 17Dec2010  
'Normal' BMI range reached 26July2011
18 Month Surgiversary 148# BMI 23  26Nov2011

··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··
   ·><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>·
   ··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··><((((º>··snorkel··

neacres100
on 1/4/12 11:49 am - NJ

My surgeon was Dr. Gagner as well.  I wouln't want anyone else.  I was a very complicated patient, having had several severe abdominal surgeries including an erroded infected lapband.  I spoke with several surgeons, but Dr. Gagner was the only one I felt comfortable with and trusted my life with.  He really does put the safety of his patients first and foremost. 

As far as how long to wait inbetween surgeries.....well I guess it depends on what was done, and how fast your body heals and adjusts.  I had my lapband removed in dec 09 (as an emergency surgery by another surgeon),   vsg in aug 2010, and 2nd part in dec 2010. my entire abdominal cavitiy was solid adhesions also making my cavity difficult to inflate, and took hours to cut away.  I thank god that Dr. Gagner didn't give up on me, and gave me the best surgery that my body could handle at both times. 

Best wished to you and your health.

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!