Came for the DS, left with the VSG

jmckel1
on 12/23/11 8:03 pm, edited 12/24/11 1:00 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hello,

I am day 3 post-op, having undergone a [laparoscopic] lap-band to VSG revision by Dr. Gagner. I originally had lap-band surgery in 2006, and had that band replaced in March, 2011 after experiencing severe GERD. The new band leaked, so after much deliberation, I decided the DS was my best hope for long-term weight loss success.

When I awakened from surgery on Wednesday, I was told that my abdominal wall was quite thick, which made it difficult to inflate my abdominal cavity. After removing the lap-band, and correcting the tunnels made by that band and the band it replaced, Dr. Gagner felt it wasn't safe to do the intestinal portion. He said I can finish the revision to DS in a year or two, if necessary. 

I'm not questioning his judgment, I'm just wondering how much time should elapse before I ask for the full DS?

Thanks.
Tina.D
on 12/23/11 8:19 pm - TX
Wait and see how you do with your VSG and keep talking to your surgeon. It will take a year or so for your body to adjust to your change so while you have this time please work on staying healthy.

Good luck!

fullhousemom
on 12/23/11 10:45 pm
 Was this a risk you knew about going into surgery?  Was your surgery lap or open?  I am not in a position to question your doctor. I have heard on this forum about someone's surgery taking longer than normal because of a thick abdominal wall. In the end, we have to trust the judgement of our surgeon and what he/she feels comfortable doing.   I just wish you could have have had the full DS!  Best wishes!
fullhousemom
on 12/23/11 10:48 pm
 Ok. I see you had lap.  There were some posts on here earlier about lap vs open. That may be one of the "downsides" of lap.  I was surprised that most people actually had their DS's open, based on the thread responses.
newyorkbitch
on 12/23/11 10:51 pm
Gagner is one of the most experienced DS surgeons in the world.  He may be the world's leading expert.  If open would have helped,  he would have opened her. 

Sometimes certain surgical procedures aren't safe under certain cir****tances - this is a surgeon that knows what he's doing.  If he felt it was too risky,  she should be grateful that he had her best interests at heart.

I really think this "DS at all costs" mentality is dangerous.  Yeah, it stinks that he couldn't do it all in one procedure - but he said she can do the rest of it down the road.  But you know what's worse than doing it in two procedures?  Death.

fullhousemom
on 12/23/11 11:47 pm
jmckel1
on 12/24/11 12:56 am - Ottawa, Canada
I couldn't agree more; as I said, I was not questioning his judgment. Believe me, no one was more grateful to wake up than I was, and, though I was disappointed he didn't go "all the way", I am absolutely certain he did what was best under the cir****tances. If it must be done in two steps, that's fine with me, so long as I make it out alive after all is said and done. 

Dr. Gagner said there was a good chance I could lose my excess weight with the VSG, and therefore never require the full-blown DS, but I was just reading some stats that indicated VSG'ers generally experience less long-term weight loss than RNY'ers (and DS'ers), so I was a bit confused when he made that statement.
Mom4Jazz
on 12/24/11 4:43 am
 On average, DS has better stats. However many folks do
Lose all the weight and maintain with a VSG. There's a certain profile that's a good candidate (I've noticed the teensiest bit of OCD makes a good sleeve patient and I'm speaking partially of myself here). I don't know how you fit with that profile. 

I'm sorry you didn't get the complete DS now. I wish you the best in maximizing your sleeve and if it isn't enough for you to reach your goals I know that there are vets who can help you make sure you get the 2nd half. Unfortunately, most of them aren't round these parts anymore. Look for "join us" links in some folks' sig lines to find them. 

Good luck!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Gigifatsalloff
on 12/28/11 1:37 pm
DS on 02/20/12
this is the second post I have seen tonight from someone who went to Dr. G. Last week for a DS and came out with something less than. I have surgery next week for a revision from a vbg (15years ago) to a ds. It is costing my life retirement. I can't afford a second surgery 6 months later. I'm self pay. I'm soooooo worried now! Gigi
jmckel1
on 12/28/11 2:37 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Gigi,

I don't think he is setting out to do a two-step DS - I think it depends upon what he finds when he gets in there. For instance, I am a revision from the lap-band. However, I know of another of his lap-band to DS revision patients (from this board) who was able to get her DS done in one step earlier this year. As for the cost for the second step, I hear you. I'm self-pay, too, and not sure how I'm going to finance the second step.

Perhaps you can ask him about the kinds of issues he has encountered in the past with your type of revision? Specifically, the ones that have rendered him unable to do the DS in one step? For instance, my C-section scar posed a problem (I can't quite remember why at this moment) with gaining access to my intestines . With any luck, you won't have any of the 'pre-existing' issues that would increase the odds of a two-step procedure and you can put your mind at ease. 

Best of luck to you,

Julie