surgery tuesday....

mandamonium
on 12/24/11 7:12 am

my surgery is scheduled for tuesday. i'm starting to get nervous. my surgeon has me on a one week liquid pre-surgery diet. has anyone else had that? i'm just wondering because i keep accidentally getting chunks in my soup and i wonder if i'll be banished from the OR as a result of this? plus, his paperwork didn't mention alcohol and i had a few drinks THEN i decided to call the office and see if alcohol was allowed and they said no. OOPS!

i'm really just nervous. and need reassurance. is this worth it? is it gonna work? is it gonna be more commitment than i'm willing to give?

MajorMom
on 12/24/11 7:22 am - VA
Will you have to do bowel prep the day before your surgery? Many of us didn't have to do any diet until the day or so prior to the bowel prep. Don't worry about a couple of slips just make sure you're cleared out the day before.

The DS has been totally worth it for me. I'm a little over 4 years out. Try not to worry :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/24/11 9:55 am
 NO liquid diet for me preop.  But I did have to do a bowel prep the day before (no fun but went by quickly).

So far, it's worth it to me--I'm only 3 weeks out but not sorry yet.

Sher--the bear mama

scoob
on 12/24/11 10:34 am - Somerset, KY
HANDS down the BEST decision I ever made for myself! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE,,, read pages and pages of history on this forum. Go to dsfacts.com and read EVERY word!! This surgery is the best out there but comes with great responsibility!

That said, being nervous is normal. The night before was awful and awesome all rolled up into one. Take a few deep breaths and start reading! Good luck. Sending well wishes your way!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

gak
on 12/24/11 11:05 am
Revision on 06/21/13
All great advice ! Who is your surgeon ? You do not have them listed on your profile. Please read dsfacts and your docs complete instructions.

This surgery is TOTALLY worth it ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Lisa A.
on 12/24/11 9:20 pm - Windsor, NY
I didn't have to do liquid diet or anything before my surgery - not even the day before. You will be fine!

Raven300
on 12/25/11 5:50 am
Defintely the surgery is worth it!  Like so many others on the board, my only regret is not doing it sooner.

YES! The surgery will work. EVEN FOR YOU!!!  I was so afraid it wouldnt work for me. So many diets that worked for others didnt give me long lasting results.  I was postive I was the one person this surgery would have no effect on.  I was wrong. This isnt a diet, it is a lifestyle change. It will work for you just like it worked for me and for everyone else here.

I am down 176lbs at the 19month mark. I wear a size 4 or a 6 now.  

Is this more commitment than you can give? Only you can answer that. You HAVE to take your vitamins. You Have to get your protein in. You HAVE to drink lots of water. You might have long term issues with milk products, sugar, or flour.  You'll definitely go to the bathroom more than pre-op.
Can you handle that?  It is work, but for me it sure beats being superfat and unable to move easily.

mandamonium
on 12/26/11 2:08 am
thanks you guys! my doc is dr barker in dallas. my surgery was scheduled 6 months ago and since then he has changed alot of his pre-op stuff! and so i'll be doing some last minute blood work today and of course his office is closed because of the holidays. so i don't know if he wants me to do a bowel flush!!!! grrrrrr! as if cold feet werent' bad enough now i have ambiguity! i don't even know what time to show up at the hospital tomorrow?