Post-op Revision - RNY to DS - 8 days out

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 8:05 am

It's hard for me to believe, but my surgery was Dec 15, and I'm home! I spent a couple of extra days in the hospital, released Tuesday instead of Sunday, because Dr. Keshishian said he had more work to do in undoing the RNY part. Nothing for alarm, just took an extra hour, so he kept me longer to be extra sure. I came out of surgery about as plugged up as you can be - oxygen, NG tube, 2 drains, JTube, Foley catheter, IV for fluids, heprin shots every 6 hours; I'm a hard stick so between the IV, the blood draws and the shots, I swelled up and was black and blue. The hospital care was great. everyone there supportive, helpful, treated bariatric surgery with great respect.

I'm basically on a liquid diet for now, with the exception of oatmeal or cream of wheat. I opt for oatmeal, which I cook eggs into, because it's better for you, more protein, a complex carb. I can tolerate about a 1.5 tablsp. Pureed soups with a lot of vegetables and tofu, chicken broth, tomato south pureed with tofu. I'm not all that interested in food, and don't have much of an appetite. I'm having no trouble swallowing medication - my Prozac, tylenol. I was also given delaudid in pill form, but honestly, other than when I've been in major pain, which is much better now, I don't like to take narcotics. I use chewables for my multi and calcium. 

Because my RNY was laproscopic, and I landed back in the hospital a week later, with a second open surgery 3 weeks after that to fix the problem, I don't have a traditional frame of reference for recovery. I know that I feel like complete crap :-) My emotions have been all over the place. It still amazes me that I was approved so quickly, surgery scheduled, all in less than 2 months once I made the decision to have a revision to the DS and looked into surgeons. I know this will pass, that 8 days out and now home - with 2 drains, the Jtube and a binder - I'm doing well. I have a home health nurse to assist with my dressings and keep an eye on me because I'm single, living in LA only 6 years. Lots of friends to help with errands, keep me company, but no one I would ask to um change a stinky dressing :-) I'm of course focused on getting in the protein and water, planning on getting some liquid protein to help with that since I can shoot that right into the tube, takes the stress off. I can't believe I have a regular stomach again - well, more or less :-) So happy to be rid of the RNY plumbing.

I'm not walking as much since I got home Tuesday, but that will change starting this weekend. The physical therapist who came by said I'm doing great, I had that consult as well, all covered by insurance, so I'm taking full advantage of the care available to me (that I wish were available for EVERYONE). My home health nurse is from the Phillipines and a sweetheart; yesterday she asked me if I modeled!!! Because my face is beatufil! Oy :-) She has a quiet, gentle, savvy way about her, I really like her.

My emotions...OMG, ALL OVER THE PLACE! I have cried buckets :-) My brain, my soul is so full of memories of my journey so far, the actual gift of a second chance, the oh my god, what did I do, the fear I still won't get to my goal (140/150) name it, it's there. Taking it one day at a time, I do remember that the first couple of weeks after any major surgery are the hardest. We have the bonus of all the emotional baggage. But I know I'm looking forward to rocking my surgery, eating and working out like a champ and can't wait to get to that part. Grateful to have a job where I have the quality insurance, and grateful these same benefits will give me the time away from a horrible boss where I can, hopefully, find a new job before I have to back. I've got 13 weeks at 100%, and another 13 weeks at 60% after that, and between my surgeon, my primary and my therapist, believe I will be able to have ample validation to stay off work :-) 

I want to thank everyone *****sponded to my first post. It's strange this time around to not have been part of a support board in place before my surgery. I seem to feel - mostly - like I want to share my experience, get some support/questions answered, read/learn. I can't figure out how to change my surgeon name in my profile, and I absolutely want Dr. Keshishian's name up there! I know I was in the best of care. Everyone at the hospital kept telling me that people come from all over to have him :-)

Sharyl 

MajorMom
on 12/23/11 8:14 am - VA
Welcome home! You sound like you are doing remarkably well. Hang in there, the emotions can be overwhelming.

Welcome to the dark side!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 8:24 am
Thanks Gina :-) Someone responded on my first post how much I would love the DS once I got over the feeling of being run over like a truck and back over again, :-) Pretty accurate! Thanks for the encouragement. 
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/23/11 2:09 pm
 I too take Prozac and when i was in the hospital they wouldn't give it to me--why? I still don't know.  But when I got home I was so depressed. I cried over everyhing and I thought it would never get better.  For me, it did get better.   It took about 2-3 days before I started feeling less depressed.  And then within a week I felt almost normal.  I hope you have a swift recovery and that you start feeling better soon. I am no longer crying at every thought.  Perhaps you'll get there soon as well.

I send you nachas (Yiddish for joy or blessing) and hugs.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

teachmid
on 12/23/11 10:41 pm - OKC, OK
Welcome home! Dr. K did my revision too. He's unbelievable!!!!

The emotional ride is tough. I remember the day I was discharges I cried and cried and cried. DH kept asking why and I would say I didn't know why. It did get better though.

Best wishes for a boring recovery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165