2.5 years out, have been non compliant

larra
on 12/22/11 1:09 am - bay area, CA
Already lots of good advice. The most important thing I can add is that if you don't get your protein levels up to normal, nothing else will normalize either. And of course lasix isn't going to fix your edema if it's caused by protein deficiency, which it almost certainly is.
     I doubt that you'll be able to eat enough protein to fix protein malnutrition, so start protein drinks/shakes TODAY, along with protein foods. Talk with Dr. Hares about digestive enzymes, which would increase your absorption of protein. And if they make you gain a couple pounds, so what - this is about your health and staying alive, not about a number on a scale, and hopefully would also be temporary to get you over this problem.
     The tingling stuff sounds like B12 or other vitamin deficiency. You should be able to absorb B vitamins just fine, so start taking them. If you nip this in the bud, it will resolve. If you let it continue or worsen you'll end up with severe and permanent peripheral neuropathy.
     So get started NOW. No excuses.
     And most important of all, get into some kind of therapy/counseling to figure out WHY you have sabotaged your health and get your brain going in the right direction.

Larra
beemerbeeper
on 12/22/11 2:27 am - AL
On December 21, 2011 at 11:58 PM Pacific Time, Emilie J. wrote:

First, let me start off by saying I'm not looking for sympathy, or to be coddled, or to be handled with kid gloves. I know that doesn't happen here.

What I did, I did to myself, and I know that. I made the choices I made, and I will have to deal with the consequenses. I have already contacted my surgeons nurse, and she is, as usual, on the ball, getting me straight.

I'll try to give you the short version. I had the DS 2.5 years ago. I didn't prepare enough, I didn't take it seriously enough, and I certainly didn't give it my all on the follow through.

I was non compliant from the very beginning. I was that girl who ate 4 chocolate chip cookies a week after surgery, despite me having that little thingy in my guts that Dr. Hares uses, and, I could have killed myself, and, I knew that, but I wanted the damn cookies. Yeah...that's me.

I never exercised, and I only kept up with my supplements for about a year following surgery. I did have a round of iron infusions about 17 months post op, but since then, have not had any. I didn't eat right, and I don't eat right now. I highly doubt I am getting even 60 grams of protien a day.

Bottom line, now, I'm panicking. I have had kidney stones on several, several occassions that have had to be surgically removed, I have tingling in my hands, wrists, toes and feet that will not go away. I have bilateral lower extremity pitting edema that lasix is not resolving. I'm fatigued, I'm depressed. I, am getting sick. I feel it.

I know how non compliant pt's effect hopeful ds'rs. I know we give the surgery a bad name. I know I've been a stupid (insert swear word here) I know.

I want to start over, I want to be healthy, I want to be here for my boys, I want to change my habits and get on the straight and narrow. I'm terrified. I'm overwhelmed. I'm freakin out. I feel like a brand newbie who knows nothing, because, I haven't kept up with anything, and now I've forgotten it all. Help me. Please.

I am going to post some of my significant lab values, from August, which are my most recent labs, so, approximately 2 years out at the time. Like I said, I contacted Dr. Hares nurse, and I know she is on it. If you feel the need to to beat me bloody with a thorough tongue lashing, please do, just, while you're at it, please help me.

Emilie

Total protien- 5.9
albumin- 3.5
prealbumin- 20.9

Hgb- 10.7
Hct- 31.8
TIBC- 199
B12- 285 (augh!!)

Vitamin D- 34

I didn't get a PTH, A, Zinc etc...done, so I don't know those figures. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. I would do it all over again, I would just do it right. I've lost 192 lbs, and am 7 lbs away from my goal. My life has changed in big ways, huge ways, little ways, eensy weensy ways. I wouldn't take it back, I just would do it the right way.

No nurse is going to be able to help you here.  That is first.

VitaLady can save your life if you want to live.  Here's her plan for idiots who stopped supplementing:
docs.google.com/Doc

Since she HAS a plan for idiots, you aren't the first idot.  So don't think you are all special just because you are trying to slowly kill yourself.  If you contact her and send her your labs she will help you.  And she won't call you an idiot.  She just cares a lot about people like you.

Next.  GET A THERAPIST.  NOW.  I'm not kidding.  If you don't do this you won't be ABLE to do this other stuff and you will die.

Next.  Go to the NEW forum: weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi and go to the Bites and Vites thread and introduce yourself and post there EVERY DAY.  They can help you if you let them.  There are people there who had big regains who lost that plus more by posting on that thread and eating right.  If you don't get your protein you will die.

Next:  Read and Bookmark this thread.  Then read it again. :www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

Now.  I've called you names but I have also offered you REAL advice that can save your life.  It is now up to you whether you want to live or die.

If you want I can PM with you and support you through these steps.  So just let me know.  I'd be honored to help you find your way back to health.

~Becky

zuzupetals2u2
on 12/22/11 2:37 am - Sedona, AZ
well I guess I am in trouble here now for referring her to the new place in my post as I got the moderatpr letter. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Nicolle
on 12/22/11 3:34 am
Yes, I remember you. As the "Chips Ahoy Lady" in my head. I re-read some of your old posts just now--maybe you should too. Very interesting. Some pretty deep stuff in your past that could easily lead to this self-sabotaging behavior. If your old therapist is not a help to you, maybe it's time to find a new one. About a year ago, you had a confessional post in which you swore you would be compliant. It looks like you need to do something different this time around.

I am one of the least knowledgeable people on vites on this board, but even I can tell your numbers are in the toilet and you are symptomatic of some real problems like protein malnutrition and B deficiency. You are going to die a painful death if you do not get your head on straight. You deserve better than that.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 4:48 am
I am preop and don't pretend to know everything but I will tell you this - you need a B12 shot, quick. That would explain a lot of your symptoms such as tingling, fatigue etc.

I hope that you find the way to compliance and get healthy....
ellesix
on 12/22/11 8:27 am
I am just pissed that you forrest gumped your way through and STILL managed to lose more than I did, but then I had a ****ty surgeon, so... . Shesh. I hope you get the support you need. It is no fun trying to get this tool to work, even when you are compliant. You are lucky. I hope this time is a charm.

Good luck to you.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 6:13 am
On December 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM Pacific Time, ellesix wrote:
I am just pissed that you forrest gumped your way through and STILL managed to lose more than I did, but then I had a ****ty surgeon, so... . Shesh. I hope you get the support you need. It is no fun trying to get this tool to work, even when you are compliant. You are lucky. I hope this time is a charm.

Good luck to you.
 I've heard that Dr. Dennis Smith is a wonderful surgeon!
ann M.
on 12/23/11 6:27 am - Northern, VA
Gotta' fix the protein malnutrition as Dr. Larra said.  Your body just won't absorb vitamins until you get the protein taken care of.  The protein malnutrition is prone to cause the fatigue, depression, apathy, and edema that you are describing.

You must get a few hundred grams of highly absorbable protein a day in.  The best way to do this is through whey protein isolates.  Find a protein shake recipe that you can tolerate...you don't necessarily have to like it.  Drink four a day.  And concentrate on high bio-available protein like eggs, meat, and cheese.The goal is to get as much protein in your body as you can possibly fit to avoid hospitalization.  Make no mistake, you are well on your way to hospitalization and TPN. 

If you can't find the self-love to motivate yourself, please think about your kids.  Do you really want them raised by someone else because you are too sick to care for them?

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

newyorkbitch
on 12/23/11 10:35 am
Nobody can force vitamins and protein down your throat.  Only you control that. 

If you are not seeing a therapist,  you need to.  NOW.  You are essentially committing suicide.
Larissa P.
on 12/24/11 3:22 am - Denton, TX
She hasn't come back to reply.

Poster child for someone who should NOT get the DS.

I hope she gets professional mental help, and fast.

This will not end well.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB